Should we bring the death penalty back?

Should we bring the Death Penalty back  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring the Death Penalty back

• Yes
    • No

Should we reintroduce capital punishment?

Short answer - no.

Why not?

a) It's immoral

In some people's eyes, not in others. Do you also disagree with a nation defending itself in war? Is the death inflicted by a nation defending its own existence against an oppressive tyrant regime also immoral? Was it immoral to resist the Nazis?

b) Innocent people will be exucuted

Very, very few. What is for sure is that the number of innocent people who won't be killed by re-offending criminals will be significant.

Anybody whose moral high ground would rather see a dozen innocents murdered than one innocent man hang needs help.

Once a violent criminal always a violent criminal, hardly any are rehabilitated.

c) It has no deterrent effect

That is very debateable. Even if it were true, public hangings would soon sort that out.

d) It debases the value of human life

And just what is the value of human life? A doctor, schoolteacher, tax-paying law-abiding worker of any kind has a life of value.

Thieves, murderers, rapists, paedophiles and terrorists cannot be of the same worth as good law abiding people. They have chosen to opt out of the human race, so they should not be allowed 'human' rights.

You can't debase the value of the valueless dregs of society.

http://www.innocent.org.uk/news/#bradleyallardyce.

The death penalty must never ever be brought back .

Bradley Alldordyce,Michael Brown,Derek Christian,Dai Morris,Kevin lane.

The above are all serving life terms for murder .Some are now going to the appeal courts due to the evidence given as being unsafe .Those men if proved to be wrongly convicted would now be dead .To many innocent people are at this moment serving long terms in prison for crimes they did not commit .What if it was your Son,Daughter,Husband or wife wrongly accused of murder.I don't thing many people on this thread would be so keen to bring back the death penalty.

http://www.innocent.org.uk/news/#bradleyallardyce.

The death penalty must never ever be brought back .

Bradley Alldordyce,Michael Brown,Derek Christian,Dai Morris,Kevin lane.

The above are all serving life terms for murder .Some are now going to the appeal courts due to the evidence given as being unsafe .Those men if proved to be wrongly convicted would now be dead .To many innocent people are at this moment serving long terms in prison for crimes they did not commit .What if it was your Son,Daughter,Husband or wife wrongly accused of murder.I don't thing many people on this thread would be so keen to bring back the death penalty.

Don't be so naive.

Unsafe convictions mean that the due process was flawed and that the scrotes get off - like the Guildford 4 and Biringham 6. Still as guilty as sin, but they get off and proclaim their innocence. Don't know how they have the gall.

Don't be so naive.

Unsafe convictions mean that the due process was flawed and that the scrotes get off - like the Guildford 4 and Biringham 6. Still as guilty as sin, but they get off and proclaim their innocence. Don't know how they have the gall.

Don't be so naive yerself!

Thats a wild and frankly preposterous claim you're making here, have you got any evidence that can point to the guilt of the Birmingham 6? Do you know the slightest thing about that bombing? What can you tell us that isnt already known? Do you even know what an 'unsafe conviction is'?

More total rubbish from you again. Dont know how YOU have the gall

Don't be so naive.

I am not being naive ,i am starting my opinion .I don't care what you say or think .If you have ever been wrongly accused of something you didn't and punished for it ,then you would soon change your tune.And as usual your talking ********

That is very debateable. Even if it were true, public hangings would soon sort that out.

And just what is the value of human life? A doctor, schoolteacher, tax-paying law-abiding worker of any kind has a life of value.

Thieves, murderers, rapists, paedophiles and terrorists cannot be of the same worth as good law abiding people. They have chosen to opt out of the human race, so they should not be allowed 'human' rights.

You can't debase the value of the valueless dregs of society.

I'll just deal with the two more straightforward points for now.

Public hangings would clearly not sort it out. We used to have those here remember? Did we have a crime free society? Of course we didn't.

The value of human life? In my worldview, all human life has intrinsic value and all people are due a measure of respect.

You clearly don't share this view, which saddens, but doesn't surprise me.

Thieves, murders, rapists etc haven't 'chosen to opt out of the human race'

They've done some bad things. A man who's killed a man is still a man. A rapist is still a man. A terrorist is still a man. Human beings Bartfarst.

Don't be so naive yerself!

Thats a wild and frankly preposterous claim you're making here, have you got any evidence that can point to the guilt of the Birmingham 6? Do you know the slightest thing about that bombing? What can you tell us that isnt already known? Do you even know what an 'unsafe conviction is'?

More total rubbish from you again. Dont know how YOU have the gall

Yes, I do happen to know about the Birmngham 6. I know a lot about that bombing, and many more, because I worked for years with the security services in Northern Ireland. Do you know much about it? I suspected not.

It would seem that another Forum armchair expert needs to have 'been there' before they comment :rolleyes:

Please, do tell us more about it, and about 'unsafe convictions'. I'm dying to hear.

all human life has intrinsic value and all people are due a measure of respect.

You clearly don't share this view, which saddens, but doesn't surprise me.

Thieves, murders, rapists etc haven't 'chosen to opt out of the human race'

They've done some bad things. A man who's killed a man is still a man. A rapist is still a man. A terrorist is still a man. Human beings Bartfarst.

Human is just a word.

Bunches of cells, bone and fluid that just happen to walk on two legs and be able to talk shouldn't be excused their failings.

If there's a problem with that it is that we're all caught up with looking after the poor, under-valued, abused criminals of this world. Would you believe, some Draconians actually think we should jail them???

Dead criminals don't re-offend. Live ones do - almost to a man.

.What if it was your Son,Daughter,Husband or wife wrongly accused of murder.I don't thing many people on this thread would be so keen to bring back the death penalty.

That has happened, and people have been struck by lightning.

Back in the real world (try it, it's not that bad), the scenario you paint is far, far, more likely to be that in which your relative is killed by a released former killer. Ak the people who have lost loved ones to released killers if they would agree with the death penalty.

Yes, I do happen to know about the Birmngham 6. I know a lot about that bombing, and many more, because I worked for years with the security services in Northern Ireland. Do you know much about it? I suspected not.

It would seem that another Forum armchair expert needs to have 'been there' before they comment :rolleyes:

Please, do tell us more about it, and about 'unsafe convictions'. I'm dying to hear.

So then, tell me exactly what you know about the 6 men who got life sentences for that crime, giving some kind of insight into each mans links to Irish Republicanism and their part in the bombing.

I expect to see a reasonable degree of supporting evidence before I consider taking you seriously, not least because your above referencesto me personally are entirely pre-judged and without any kind of knowledge about me at all.

Then, and only then, I might tell you what knowledge I have. But hey, I'm not the one making crazy truth-free evidence-untroubled claims. So I'll ask the questions for now. You just concentrate on dazzling us all with your vast expertise (having worked with - not for - the security services in Northern Ireland - did you deliver their pizzas?:D ).

That has happened, and people have been struck by lightning.

Back in the real world (try it, it's not that bad), the scenario you paint is far, far, more likely to be that in which your relative is killed by a released former killer. Ak the people who have lost loved ones to released killers if they would agree with the death penalty.

Wrong again. Your relative is more likely to be killed by someone known to them. Whether they are a 'released former killer' is entirely irrelevant, except maybe to people like you.

For someone who claims to have been a UN aid worker and part of the UK security services, your grasp of the real world is rather erratic isnt it?

~I'm beginning to have reservations about these claims, myself. you sound like a bit of a been there done this learnt nowt gob****e to be honest?