Should we bring the death penalty back?

Should we bring the Death Penalty back  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring the Death Penalty back

• Yes
    • No

From the pages of The Battalion (a Texas online newspaper)

..... various government entities have estimated the total cost of death penalty cases at anywhere from $1-3 million, while the total average cost of a life imprisonment is around $500,000.

Plus these sites:

http://www.indianacc.org/tables/death.html

http://www.uvm.edu/~vlrs/doc/deathpenalty.htm

http://www.phadp.org/fiscal.htm

Well while you’re searching away for your facts I’ll post some of my own to add into the mix.

Taking aside the difference in costs for the trail (the difference being $460,000).

It costs on average to keep a prisoner on in prison $20,965.60 per year in the state of Indiana (it would take forever to locate facts and figure for ALL states so I’ve stuck with what I cam up with).

On average a prisoner will remain on death row for 12.01 years (according to the state of Florida). Although I realise this can go on for longer, but can be a lot quicker too. Swings and roundabouts.

So shall we say that if the same prisoner that would have been given the death penalty just gets given life (lets say life means life and they’re never released.) The said prisoner who is on average 30.44 yrs of age when committing the crime (according to previous link to Florida Correction Website). Now instead of serving 12.01 yrs (which would have been the average on death row), they would serve until their death… shall we say they die at aged 70. That means the prisoner in question served 39 yrs (give or take) which equates to $817,658.40 of tax payers money. That’s just one prisoner! Now that same figure minus the difference of the trail ($460,000), gives us a figure of $357,658.40 more that the tax payer has paid because this prisoner had not been given the death penalty.

Now… it seems to me, that it IS in FACT cheaper to execute a death row prisoner than it is in the long term to keep them inside.

I apologise but I haven’t taken into account inflation during the time the prisoner has remained inside… I used today’s figure…. Thus giving overall a lesser cost :P

For anyone interested in a 'Virtual Death Row' tour... please see pics on this site :thumbsup:

..... various government entities have estimated the total cost of death penalty cases at anywhere from $1-3 million, while the total average cost of a life imprisonment is around $500,000.

That's assuming life means only 15 yrs inside. Are we talking life meaning life? In which case I suspect the costs would be higher.

In either case, if you do the calculations as per my previous post you will see the facts display a different picture.

Bringing back the death penalty would obviously reduce the amount of re-offenders which would make the country safer. It would also lead to a reduction in crime schools - where inmates will undoubtedly share their experiences with, and learn from each other. Prisons will be less full and as a result, will be able to house other offenders. You can't put a price on what this'll mean to the country.

The death penalty isnt for everyone though. Some lunatics will see it as an easy way out of the world - so each case needs to be assessed and I also think the victims of the initial crime should have some say, based on this assessment.

To others, it WILL act as a deterrent.

Sadly some innocent people would be executed, but surely lie detector testing is now adequate enough to prevent any significant quantity of people being unfairly executed.

So I voted yes, but its not a decision made lightly.

Sadly some innocent people will be executed ? SADLY!!!! Holy crap ! I can't believe I just read that ! You wouldn't mind then if it was your Mum or Dad or someone ? For justice's sake, you know. Keeping people in prison for life would reduce the amount of reoffenders as they wouldn't be on the streets! It is not the executing people that makes the country safer. It is the imprisonment. The DP does not deter murderers one jot. If you are going to kill then you do not think of the consequences. Nor can you have one rule for some and another for others.

dabouncer...try the dpic. Death Penalty Information Center. That has everything on in the country. Let me find the exact address.

Originally posted by dinp

... but surely lie detector testing is now adequate enough to prevent any significant quantity of people being unfairly executed.

Ha. They could go live on Trisha for the results aswell, uh?

Chris.

I voted yes because i believe some crimes are so disgusting there can be no justification for allowing the offender to continue to breathe.but tho i believe in capital punishment,i dont think it will ever be used here for the reasons stated in other posts,that is the mistakes that cannot be corrected.

if life meant life(ie lock em up and throw away the key) then there would be no nead for it. Unfortunately there are too many do gooders who believe these people are basically nice people really and deserve compassion.

how many here think ian huntley aint such a bad guy really, or how many like me think he should be shown the same compassion he showed to jessica and holly.

if we cant execute them then build a prison that they will never ever see the outside of again. forget re-habilitation, and that includes the two that murdered jamie bulger,who are now living very nicely at our expense.

Originally posted by dinp

Sadly some innocent people would be executed, but surely lie detector testing is now adequate enough to prevent any significant quantity of people being unfairly executed.

which we see as a very common tool in our courts today? No, I wonder why (actually I know why), did you bother to wonder why though?

Bringing back the death penalty would obviously reduce the amount of re-offenders which would make the country safer. It would also lead to a reduction in crime schools - where inmates will undoubtedly share their experiences with, and learn from each other.

I don't think this really happens with murderers. Most murders are crimes of passion. This is not seeking to excuse them in a do-gooder way, just an observation that most capital crimes fit this pattern. Prisoners do not swap tips about how to get really riled up and kill someone. Gangland killings are probably different though, and people certainly do make connections there.

I'm unsure why people are talking about the recent high profile paedophilia cases. The poll is about reintroducing the death penalty, not bringing it back and massively expanding the renge of crimes that it shoul cover. As far as I remember, it only covered murder, piracy and treason. I can't think of many other countries where it includes other crimes against the person.

Like I say babooshka I'm not disputing the moralities of the death penalty (although in some circumstances I feel it is justified), I am disputing the cost effectiveness claims, which I think my facts outweigh those you pointed out.

However discussing the morality issue, I do agree that there will be and are flaws in the death penalty issue (as outlined in the news feature max linked to). The system needs a whole overhaul and tightening up, making sure full evidence and facts relating to each individual case have been seen, checked, double checked and checked a third time before sentencing without a shadow of a doubt someone who deserves the penalty.

Yes I feel some people should receive it, I think the victims families outweigh the families of the killer (or criminal... depending on crime I suppose). However if the victims family pleaded that the criminal in question should be given mercy and not given the death penalty then this should be taken into account by the court too.

The system needs resorting and bringing up to date, however I feel the death penalty (in the states at least) should stand!

Bringing it back in the UK... well... I'm not too sure.

If it was done correctly, without the falws as affore mentioned, then yes I agree!