Woman gets whipped in public for wearing bra

Mosques? What have they got to do with it?

Maybe madam there is the problem in perception, to regard Mosques as Muslim Churches. I'm afraid Im afraid it'll take too long explaning but simply, the community controls the Mosque rather than the Mosque controling the community.

That's what I was saying, isn't it? The community/committees that run the mosques/religious centres on behalf of the community should be organising themselves to put their point of view on the actions of these irreligious self appointed 'religious police'. Shaz112 says they're not even anything to do with Islam, but just some local nutcases? There's nothing to stop you telling other countries if you don't agree with their actions. I've done it in the past, China and USA to name but two. It doesn't stop them of course, but at least they know that people are against some of their actions.

You're always telling us that this sort of thing isn't anything Islamic, so why not tell them they're doing wrong? Anyway I'll wait and see what shaz112 has to say about why they don't get prosecuted for ABH, as s/he seems to know so much about it.

Ok Ruby, to make up for the key post, here's my stab at a letter. Please feel free (anyone) to improve upon it and I promise, I will send it out.

"Dear

I am writing to ask for your support in condemning the so-called branches of Islam where men take it on themselves to whip women for wearing a bra or trousers and stone women to death for adultery.

I am sure you will want to be as vocal as possible in declaring that such actions are the work of very sick and misguided people and that such extremist behaviour holds no sway with you or any of your followers.

We also hear stories of people being threatened with death for considering leaving Islam or for being in same sex relationships. I am sure that there must be people who attend your mosque who are gay, lesbian or even transgender and that in your role as a leader in prayer, you will want to actively promote equality across all aspects of your culture.

I have enclosed some leaflets on such matters that I hope you will be able to display in your mosque. It is a very isolating experience to feel ‘different’ from others without knowing that there is help and support out there in the wider community. That is certainly how I felt. To show your support please visit this site where you can sign my online petition.

I really hope that we can work together to demonstrate that all faiths can become more inclusive by rejecting the views of the fundamentalist element present in so many religions and show solidarity by embracing those in our community that are most vulnerable - in the name of Allah or Jesus or Krisha or Hera or Ra or Odin or Zeus.

May your god be with you.

Marx Marvellous."

Ok Ruby, to make up for the key post, here's my stab at a letter. Please feel free (anyone) to improve upon it and I promise, I will send it out.
Although it's a very good letter, I don't feel that 'outsiders' making the point would carry as much weight with them as true believers stating their case.

I see commited and observant Muslims telling us that these things are the actions of misguided people, or even mad people, and so they should really be the ones pointing out that the actions aren't acceptable to them, if that is what they truly think. Maybe they're afraid of repercussions if they do, I don't know, but it seems incredible to me that they can overlook this sort of thing done to other Muslims in the name of religious observance when they KNOW it's wrong.

Even tab1 who is one of the most outspoken people on here when the situation is vice-versa, has carefully avoided answering my pertinent questions and instead gone for a reply to something I didn't say :)

My thoughts on pre-marital kissing are well known.

Pray tell us will you ?:)

Although it's a very good letter, I don't feel that 'outsiders' making the point would carry as much weight with them as true believers stating their case.

I see commited and observant Muslims telling us that these things are the actions of misguided people, or even mad people, and so they should really be the ones pointing out that the actions aren't acceptable to them, if that is what they truly think. Maybe they're afraid of repercussions if they do, I don't know, but it seems incredible to me that they can overlook this sort of thing done to other Muslims in the name of religious observance when they KNOW it's wrong.

Even tab1 who is one of the most outspoken people on here when the situation is vice-versa, has carefully avoided answering my pertinent questions and instead gone for a reply to something I didn't say :)

Isn't it strange that in these many countries where these barbaric practises take place under the banner of Islam and therfore getting Islam a bad name in the process that nobody is out on the streets demostrating against it.

Draw a cartoon and all hell is let loose, call a Teddy bear Mohamed and there are calls for the death penalty.

Could it be that nobody is demonstrating because in reality they support it and would have these same practises in this country?

Dont we all ? :cool:
Certainly do! But we'll be in trouble, chitter chatting on a serious thread. <<<< chat room that way ;)

Is there something we should be doing?

Is the area strategically significant? Does it have any oil? If so, there may be an argument for intervention on some trumped up pretext. Gotta fight all those "terrorists" y'know.

Seriously, much as we may deplore what goes on there, we are not the world's policemen.

Except when there's oil involved of course.

Are you sure there's no oil there?

Is the area strategically significant? Does it have any oil? If so, there may be an argument for intervention on some trumped up pretext. Gotta fight all those "terrorists" y'know.

Seriously, much as we may deplore what goes on there, we are not the world's policemen. Except when there's oil involved of course.

Are you sure there's no oil there?

Have you read the latter part of the thread? The suggestion is that European Muslims should contact the religious leaders of these countries by letter or petition and tell them that their behaviour is unIslamic and they should reconsider their actions.

No-one's suggesting that anyone should be going in there fighting and seeking to browbeat them into submission to equal rights. Both tab1 and shaz112 have said it's unIslamic behaviour. shaz112 even went so far as to say that these 'religious police' are nutcases. So obviously, we should be doing 'something'. I merely suggest that it would be better received coming from their brothers/sisters than outsiders.

That's what I was saying, isn't it? The community/committees that run the mosques/religious centres on behalf of the community should be organising themselves to put their point of view on the actions of these irreligious self appointed 'religious police'. Shaz112 says they're not even anything to do with Islam, but just some local nutcases? There's nothing to stop you telling other countries if you don't agree with their actions. I've done it in the past, China and USA to name but two. It doesn't stop them of course, but at least they know that people are against some of their actions.

The whole point is Madam that the Mosques in themselves have no authority other than just be a place of worship, and not a place of politics and formulating policy. The strong men in authority have taken upon themselves to do that, and consequently in a lawless place like Somalia many variaties of laws are being made up and implemented and all designed to keep the warloards in charge. If this barbaric practice took place in a more developed Islamic nation then you point would be valid, in that you could approach someone with a complaint and at least there would be a petence to listen. Who do you complain to in Somalia where there isn't even a Government and the law of the gun rules.

Despite the BNP rhetoic Linesman spouts relentlessly about islam, he was unable to answer the question of when was the last time he was on a demostration against atrocities committed by Christians. All we get from him is the ah but no but yeah but......... rubbish, not seen a sensible debate yet from the guy whichever user name he has been posting under.

You're always telling us that this sort of thing isn't anything Islamic, so why not tell them they're doing wrong? Anyway I'll wait and see what shaz112 has to say about why they don't get prosecuted for ABH, as s/he seems to know so much about it.

Indeed I appreciate that you recognise the fact I have always been telling you what is Islamic and what isn't but I bet you don't remember any of it, so what's the point? Only too often people here seem eager to jump on the anti Islam bandwagon usually driven by trolls like Bangy/ linesman etc, going for jingoism rather than considering differing situations in various parts of the world. If indeed it was an Islamic issue then why aren't Muslim women stopped from wearing such things here? Edited by tab1

Who do you complain to in Somalia where there isn't even a Government and the law of the gun rules.
Those people must be authorised by some imam or other. There must be some sort of organisation ... even in somewhere like Somalia.
Indeed I appreciate that you recognise the fact I have always been telling you what is Islamic and what isn't but I bet you don't remember any of it, so what's the point?
Why do I need to remember anything Islamic? That's your job. What do you know about any other religion? I bet you don't even know what Imbolc is ... without googling it :D