Attercliffe lads

I was born 1947 in Attercliffe, Stevenson Rd then moved to no 34 Baldwin street the Green Dragon Pub was at the top of the Rd. Went to Huntsman Gardens school then on to Hartley Brook Secondary Modern, left in 1963.

Went dancing at the old skating rink. Left Sheffield 1977 to work contracting as a welder, I now live in South wales. The guys I used to knock around with were Barry Bolsover, Glyn Hannon, and the rest were from the Staniforth Rd area.

Second year of retirement from being a manager on the railways. I have a mother, brothers and sisters still living in Sheffield along with two of my children and 4 grand children, divorced around 1971.

Hi Bob I remember you, my brother is Glyn Hannan

Hi Bob,dont know if you will remember me Sheila Hepplestone was engaged to Tony Driver now married to him.Tony sees Glynn regular.I remember you all from Central,you Buggsie and Alan and the rest.Remember Laura also.Glad your well.Tony's birthday today 69,where have the years gone it's scary.

Hope you are both well.

I remember Tony, I have not seen Laura since our divorce in 1971.

I am 68 on Friday the 7th. Have you any contacts from the old days when we all went to the Central (skating ring) dancing. I have not lived in Sheffield since 1977.

My personal e-mail is bobbymeg@sky.com

Hope you are both well.

I remember Tony, I have not seen Laura since our divorce in 1971.

I am 68 on Friday the 7th. Have you any contacts from the old days when we all went to the Central (skating ring) dancing. I have not lived in Sheffield since 1977.

My personal e-mail is bobbymeg@sky.com

Hi Bob,I'm still in touch with with Linda and Pat Omahoney they lived just off Don rd,was it Barry Bolsover or Bill Brumby you meant, dont know a Barry but recall you knocking about with Bill and Alan.Alan was a tall lad with fair hair not seen him for a few years.Pat married Malcolm Foster he lived on don rd.Tony seems to think that Bill passed away not sure if its right though.Wrote your email down if i find anything out i'll let you know.Sheila

I remember Bill Brumby, it was Barry Bolsover who was related to Alan Kelly that who was more of a mate to in them days. Barry use to work at the Gold Smelting firm near Don Rd. We use to go in the Non Potts workman's club on Effingham rd and the Greyhound pub and follow the group the Fortunes around all of the Clubs.

I remember Bill Brumby, it was Barry Bolsover who was related to Alan Kelly that who was more of a mate to in them days. Barry use to work at the Gold Smelting firm near Don Rd. We use to go in the Non Potts workman's club on Effingham rd and the Greyhound pub and follow the group the Fortunes around all of the Clubs.

Hi Bob,Cant recall Barry,Tony knows the name but that's all.Put where he lived and a few details you can remember on here and someone will most likely come up with something.

Barry lived across from Don Terrace and worked at the gold smelting factory

Carol knows if very well. I know Pete Maurson died who was also part of the group.

Just now reading these replies/emails. I knew a Robert Megson (brother of Terry Megson) who both lived down Oakes Green near the Molders Club. Both mad keen footballers like I was. My name is glenn pickard and I too went to Huntsmans Gardens and Hartley Brook for the same years referred to. In fact I lived next to the HG school on Britnall St.

Do I have the right Megson ?

Yes Glen

I remember your name and i am trying to put a face to it Sorry Glen no doubt it will come to me. What was your address?

I played & managed a Welsh league side, I finished playing football when I reached 60. Wished I played more golf when I was younger use to play off 10 h/cap.

Hopefully a lot of the people we knew will come out of the woodwork and start to contact me and maybe have a meeting and a few drinks Sheffield.

Is the Black Swan still in town and do they still have bands playing?

Yes Glen

I remember your name and i am trying to put a face to it Sorry Glen no doubt it will come to me. What was your address?

I played & managed a Welsh league side, I finished playing football when I reached 60. Wished I played more golf when I was younger use to play off 10 h/cap.

Hopefully a lot of the people we knew will come out of the woodwork and start to contact me and maybe have a meeting and a few drinks Sheffield.

Is the Black Swan still in town and do they still have bands playing?

No Black Swan now Bob.Town centre isn't the same anymore.We had a reunion earlier in the year at little Victory club just below the Travellers on the Cliffe.Glen came over but Tony didn't know anyone.

Hello Bob:

I think I was a year ahead of you at Huntsmans G and at Hartley Brook.

So when I was in Mr. Websters class in year 4, you might have been in Mr. Hutchinson senior or junior in year 3 ? I think Pagden, Eileen Smith, Christine Hickey and Jane McCormick might have been in your class ?

I lived right next to H. Gdns. on Britnall St which had the Cocked Hat and the Cutlers at the bottom of it on Worksop Rd.

On the footballing side I used to hang around with John Townsend and Mick Taylor. I was in the HB rugby and football team, and I was at the Emmanuel Youth Club and on the team when we won the Sheffield Youth Club Championship in 1963.

Congratulations on your retirement, I have not been able to do that yet !

The 'Cliffe' get together I went to this past March was at the Liberal Club, on Attercliffe rd just past the Travellers Inn/opposite the Adelphi. It was very good, worth attending, and many people there that I knew from HG and HB school days.

I am not sure if there is a get together scheduled for this year, but if so stay tuned in to Sheffield Forum for news

Glen I just put a face to your name and I do remember Mick Taylor.

I thought you wanted to be a pilot did you manage it?

Bob:

yes I did manage a career in flying. Started off in Canada/US, aged 18, then in the UK based down south at Gatwick, but ended up in various countries in Africa, Middle East and central America.

Then into airline management in Mongolia, New Guinea and Panama where new airlines were starting up. Hotter than a pistol in New Guinea and colder than the arctic in Mongolia ! Flying was very basic, not much in the way of airport facilities, navigation aids or weather advisories. Flew sea planes as well as land planes in Canada and the US.

I see you are a grandfather. I have children but none of them Interested in marriage yet so no grand kids !!!

Anyway lets keep in touch through the Forum. If I hear anything about a Sheffield get together this year I will let you know.

Best regards,

Glenn