Attercliffe lads

I wonder if anyone remembers my great uncle Vin, he was one of 7 brothers from attercliffe and he used to sell fish and game from his horse and cart then go to the pub, get drunk and be put on the cart and the horse took him home. I used to live on attercliffe common opposite Doreen's hairdressers and went to school in the same year as Michelle shaw, also there was the Bow Vaa Chinese restaurant opposite too, to the right across Coleridge rd, there was the paper shop and next door to that and before the Pavillion was a shop with false teeth in the window on stands and as lads we used to bang on the window and watch the teeth chatter lol it seemed hillarious back then. Anyone guess who I am ( another clue my mum had the fish shop ) great days were had back then ..

Yes, Dave Rogerson is actually sat here with me now (I'm his sister) and he sees Joe Chaplin about 2 to 3 times a week - they go in the Anglers at Handsworth. Our Dave is asking if you are referring to Dave Hobson when you say Marrar - if so, he passed away a good few years ago. Can you let me know your name by email and I can give it to our Dave as he is trying to puzzle who you might be.
Yes Dave is a bit soapy never liked the kid myseif a bit self centered and a womaniser :hihi: AND WHILE IM ON GO AND GET THISEN ANOTHER CAT Edited by spider1

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Hi Hutchlass63. Been speaking to my brother David Rogerson and his mate Jack Laver today (both 70 now) and both remember your dad and his brother Tony but my brother remembers your dad's sister, Janet, better as they went out together for a while. He remembers the house well too. My brother etc was at Coleridge Road school and lived on Whitworth Lane. I was going to attach an old photo of Brinsworth Street but it wont let me do it on here. My husband, Steve Clarke, was also from just off Brinsworth Street (Treeton Street) and we knew all the Sutcliffe family very well from Brinsworth Street. Hope this helps your search.

---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 00:08 ----------

I wonder if anyone remembers my great uncle Vin, he was one of 7 brothers from attercliffe and he used to sell fish and game from his horse and cart then go to the pub, get drunk and be put on the cart and the horse took him home. I used to live on attercliffe common opposite Doreen's hairdressers and went to school in the same year as Michelle shaw, also there was the Bow Vaa Chinese restaurant opposite too, to the right across Coleridge rd, there was the paper shop and next door to that and before the Pavillion was a shop with false teeth in the window on stands and as lads we used to bang on the window and watch the teeth chatter lol it seemed hillarious back then. Anyone guess who I am ( another clue my mum had the fish shop ) great days were had back then ..

Summerhayes and then O'Briens had the chip shop at the corner of Whitworth Lane. the Chinese took over the one just past Doreens, then there was the Little Wonder and another one just before Carbrook School (at least that's my recollection but could be slightly wrong)

Try thinking "wet fish" not cooked lol

There was March the tailor, dry cleaning shop, Us, khan butchers and bakers hardware shop on the block, the next block going toward carbrook had beer off, wateralls pork butchers, Oliver's butchers, continental traders and the last was walkers antiques which we called steptoes lol

Edited by jossmirff

Try thinking "wet fish" not cooked lol

There was March the tailor, dry cleaning shop, Us, khan butchers and bakers hardware shop on the block, the next block going toward carbrook had beer off, wateralls pork butchers, Oliver's butchers, continental traders and the last was walkers antiques which we called steptoes lol

Was there a Boldocks on that block of shops? Remember Olivers very well. Used to go with mum every Saturday for the Sunday roast and always asked for Edwin to serve her as he was the only one (she said) who knew the best cuts of meats!!

Edited by jacquic117

Yes there was, my mum Barbara had that shop no 165, Horace Boldock was my grandad, my brother Peter and me went Carbrook county schools and then to Firth Park, me in 66 and Peter in 68/9 .......

I didn't live i Attercliffe,but worked for Doreen Shaw at The Pavement on Parkhill flats!!! I remember Michelle and her brother Derroll(?) Is Doreen still about? Last I heard of her and Bill she lived out at Harthill (Ithink!)

Didn't really know Doreen and bill, they must be my mums age now, she's 83, if they're still with us they're doing good. Miss the close community that we all had down the cliffs in the sixties and early seventy's it was good, in and out of the terraced houses over the walls and the pranks, the police lol, with panda car that did 0 to 50 in about a week lol, what fun and laughs and a bit of heartache sometime till the next girl came along pretty soon. I often drift off in a daydream about bye gone days, as probably most of our generation love to do. Cause that's the only way we will ever bring them back. What's ironic is, we could bring them back cause its the people that made the time, and if they are hopefully still with us we could re-unite and relive the past maybe ? There's a que for a reunion ???

Edited by jossmirff

Yes Dave is a bit soapy never liked the kid myseif a bit self centered and a womaniser :hihi: AND WHILE IM ON GO AND GET THISEN ANOTHER CAT
:hihi: Seen Dave tonight glad to say he has realy smartend up rumour is he has a new girl friend / Thaught he was to tight to do this but good luck dave. Said he had to wash the pots and enjoyed doing it . Any way good luck dave. All the best from your mates at the pub :hihi: [ Get the sen a a Burmese Magic] Edited by spider1

Haha. Would love another cat but couldn't go through that again - nearly killed me. As for our Dave, do you really think anyone would be that daft to take him on??? No, me either haha. He's a great brother and uncle though.

is that Paul . I was in same year as Michelle to so think you will know me. Doreen and Bill must be ok because there nephew lives next door to us and he sometimes mentions them . and he's my wife's cousin. but a clue, my cousin Terry lived on rotherham st, nearly to the side of your shop.

Hi, yes it is Paul ! Spot on, so who is cliffsharky ?