Bringing private carers in to look after elderly

Good evening all, please bear with me explaining this.

My friend who is 73 years old cares for her mum who is 96 years old. She has carers come in in the morning and at night. All other care is provided by my friend. It is getting to the stage where my friend cannot trust the careworkers who are coming in to look after her mum i.e. times vary greatly, don't turn up, horrible disgusting food prepared and served, not spending correct amount of time there etc.

The friends mum lives in Stannington (some people may know the care company I am referring to). They are absolutely abysmal. After numerous phone calls/conversations with the care company and her social worker, my friend is coming to the end of her tether. She cannot settle because she is worrying about her mum all the time, not knowing whether the careworkers have turned up, whether they have given her mum the appropriate care etc.

She rung her Social Worker today to tell her she wanted to be rid of the care company involved and she was going to go private. She knows someone who can help her look after her mum who she can trust and knows she is very reliable. They are going to share the workload. Her Social Worker has told her she cannot get anyone in private for the care of her mum! My question is WHY?

Can anyone please help me to help her. I rang the social services today and was told the only person who can help with the situation is her social worker but she has already spoke to her and she has said no.

Can't my friend just get rid of the care company and bring someone private in. I think the answer to that is YES but my friend is very afraid of what the social services will say.

Sorry to go on and I hope I have made sense.

try the carers centre for advice - number will be on google/phonebook, they have a helpline and can help . pacesetters info at ILS may be able to advise or any CAB

xgx

try the carers centre for advice - number will be on google/phonebook, they have a helpline and can help . pacesetters info at ILS may be able to advise or any CAB

xgx

Of course, I never thought of them. Thanks for that and will try them tomorrow

It's called Direct Payments, there's a contact number for enquiries near the bottom of the page.

Don't know why a Social Worker should say "no", the scheme does seem to cover your friend's circumstances.

My mum works for a private care company, I'm not sure if they cover your area but I can ask?

I can tell you that you are entitled to a direct payment if you choose not to have these carers coming in .It is an amount of money that you get and you can pay a neighbour or friend to see to your friends Mum I work in the care industry and am appalled at the way these so called carers are getting away with it I can only guess the name of the company.Also your friend should not be afraid to speak to the social worker as i can assure you your friends mums wellbeing is what they are assigned to and unless she is told of the situation this will go on and on

Edited by POPSIE

i had a lovely lady who cared for my mum privately, she was fantastic i couldnt have managed without her, she was police checked though so if you go private do be careful who you are hiring

There was a programme about care companies a while ago. Not sure which channel. Might have been BBC panorama. They were supposed to have got their act together, obviously haven't. I think anyone who is having problems besides finding someone else to do the care should also contact their councillor as this company should not keep their contract.

In effect, you can now employ which ever agency you like for your home support. You need to ask for an Individual Budget from your social worker.

You will get help to complete a self assessment of your care needs, this will give you an amount of cash to plan your care with, you then complete a support plan and get this agreed by Social Services.

You get the money paid to you and then you can either use this to employ an agency to supply staff for you or you could become the employer yourself. If you choose to employ people directly you can also buy payroll services etc from A4e or Pendrels trust locally.

Your Social worker will be able to give you advise and guidance on how to do this.

With regards your current issues, complain to the care company and also to the council.