Remember Birley School?

Yes they were a year younger than us. Dianne Clarkeson is a blast from the past, she used to live on Thornbridge Cresent near the top of Birley Moor Avenue didn't she?

Yeah 40 years, doesn't seem that long, body is growing old, but mentally not much older.

Yes they were a year younger than us. Dianne Clarkeson is a blast from the past, she used to live on Thornbridge Cresent near the top of Birley Moor Avenue didn't she?

Yeah 40 years, doesn't seem that long, body is growing old, but mentally not much older.

Dianne still lives on Thornbridge Cres in the same house! Used to see her a lot but not so much these days. In fact she works at Birley (is it called Academy now) Do you remember Harry Hatt? he was in the year above us?

Fancy Dianne still living in Birley, I don,t think many of us have moved that far though have we, it,s a nice area to grow up. Did Harry live opposite the school if not then I must be thinking of someone else, I forget some of the names untill they are mentioned and then the memories come flooding back.

I moved away from Sheffield in 75 at the age of 21 and moved back in 94. I lived in Felixstowe, Ipswich, Colchester, Lenham (in Kent) Pontypool, Cwmbran, Banchory (Royal Deeside) then came back home. Do you still live in this area?

Got that one wrong then Lynn. is your husband with the forces. Yes i live near southall area mile or so from crystal peaks.

When i left in 1966 it was called Birley Secondary Modern, i recall many names that have been mentioned in this thread and others.

No Razor, my husband isn`t in the forces, i just seemed to travel around a lot lol. I now llive at Basegreen near the Centre Spot.

HEAVEN ON EARTH.

Just thirteen years old in the year 1967, young Zakes had recently become a teenager and he was in love for the very first time. The apple of his eye was a girl in his class at Birley school. This young lady had a personality and character that was so heart warming, the way she giggled touched the heart of teenager Zakes, her movement was poetry in motion and her aura was awe inspiring. It was the thought of her that made teenager Zakes jump out of bed every morning knowing he would be seeing her within the hour. Teenager Zakes would have done her homework for her, carried her satchel, played a tune on his comb with tracing paper, in emergency he could have borrowed a kazoo from his teenager mate of the week. Teenager Zakes would have made a necklace or bracelet from daisies or buttercups for her, anything to please this lovely young vibrant lady. More than anything, teenager Zakes wanted to go hand in hand with her to the nearby CBC bowling alley or maybe the Rex picture house to see South Pacific or maybe The Sound of Music. Thank you so very much Lynn Stacey for allowing a besotted teenager Zakes to be in your presence for those few short years. xx.

6,......6 pussycats went to the station. YOU-ARE-NOT-IT!!...My two mates of the term and me thought it a groovy idea to spit and polish our shoes to the extent that they would shine like the brightest mirrors ever seen. As 13 year old boys quickly pumping our way into our caps in the year 1967 we had started to look at girls in the same way adult boys and girls glimpsed each other. The next day in class we tried out our mirrored shoes theory whilst standing close to the enemy (girls) and surreptitiously glancing at our toe caps whilst conversing with them. We were caught out hands down and decided to revert to plan B. This second plan was gonna cost money but was sure to succeed. We three clubbed together and bought 1x 4oz bag of aniseed balls, 1x 4oz bag of pineapple chunks, 1x 4oz bag of jap desserts and 1x 4oz bag of kop kops then wafted them under the noses of our female classmates. It turned out to be a fab idea because in a flash our sallow (some spotty) faced girl class people were gleefully performing a series of hand stands, cartwheels and the crab for us!...Miss Caine the school sec. would have wanted a box of chocolates to do that. Alas, we didnt have the money for the honey!!......Ugh.

Hello Zakes! Where have you been? It`s been quiet on here!!!

Thank you very much for your words. Did you ever ask me to the Rex? I`m glad that in a very, very small way I helped you through school. This is for you xxx

Oh, by the way, I wasn`t one of the lasses that did a handstand for a pineapple chunk was I? lol

ATHENIAN GIRL, TROJAN BOY.

It befell on a warm summers day in late december 1967 several months before Unhappy Zakes left Birley school to serve his last year and a quarter of education at Hurlfield Boys (what no birds?) school (front two gates Sheff 2, back gates Sheff 12). Mr. Knox and Mr. Phipps had had painful experiences and for this Unhappy Zakes had received a punishment of 100 lines (what no whack?). Now, Unhappy Zakes had always preferred the whack because it was over and done with right away as opposed to lines or detention which robbed Unhappy Zakes of his time and freedom to cause mischief for others. Unhappy Zakes had arranged to meet a girl from his class behind the gym in 25 minutes but the punishment of 100 lines would take an hour. As it happened Unhappy Zakes had in his satchel 3 parker pens that his mother had acquired thanx to 57000 green shield stamps she had saved up. Unhappy Zakes also had a roll of sellotape with him that he had saved for a rainy day. Unhappy Zakes then proceeded to lay his 3 parker pens side by side and tip to tip upon the desk then adroitly taped them together (please DO try this at home). When Unhappy Zakes wrote 1 line he actually wrote 3 lines at the same time ( I MUST NOT PUT DRAWING PINS ON TEACHERS CHAIRS WITH THE POINT FACING UPWARDS). 20 minutes later, Unhappy Zakes unsellotaped the 3 green shield parker pens then wrote the final line with one of them to complete the 100, then handed them in to the lines duty teacher of the week and left the classroom, shot down the corridor in world record time, out of the school building, zipped down the path leading to the back of the gym and there she was, Athena waiting with cherry red lips for Unhappy Zakes. Within seconds Happy Zakes was holding her breath, and she was holding his!! Um......

Oh Zakes, You make me smile with your anecdotes of `the good old days` but, I am puzzled how you remember so much after all this time. Wish my memory was as good