Roasted Chestnut Seller

Guest nulla pariatur

Hi, this is a bizarre one but for the past two years there’s been a couple selling roasted chestnuts in the city centre and they have usually set up shop by now but not this year, anyone know where they have gone or if they will be making a return?

Thanks

In years gone by there used to be one at the bottom entrance of the Sheaf Market.

They are in Fargate today for Frightnight and then return daily from Nov 6th until Xmas as I was talking to them earlier today.

Guest nulla pariatur

ahhh that’s made my day as sad as it sounds the thought of getting some chestnuts on the way home got me through the days work. Do you know where abouts on fargate?

I remember my Dad selling hot chestnuts half way up snig hill with his friend Ron in 1951..52, does anyone remember them? There was an article in the Star about them, plus a pic which im looking for, can anyone help?... My Dad lived in Rudyard Rd, Hillsboro at the time, and his friend Ron Broomhead kept a antique shop in Rotheram, my Dads name was Vic Plowman. The next door neighbours names was Alf, Steve, and Maureen Littlewood and raced pigeons, as did my Dad.

Last time I saw anyone selling them was about 40 years ago on Cambridge St.

Last time I saw anyone selling them was about 40 years ago on Cambridge St.

You obviously don't get out much: there have been roast chestnut carts at either end of Fargate in December for the last six years.

I get out quiet a lot, not lived in Sheffield for 55 years.

You obviously don't get out much: there have been roast chestnut carts at either end of Fargate in December for the last six years.

Stopped going into town years ago-though not quite 40 years ago.

Many many years ago there used to be one on Pond Street between the 'where you are map that lit up' and the 'Penny Black'.

Many many years ago there used to be one on Pond Street between the 'where you are map that lit up' and the 'Penny Black'.

Ah! I remember him. The chestnuts were really yummy and smelt divine!