Old dancing schools

Connie Grants was on West Street ,Langsett Road was Fred and Ada Holmes :suspect:

I know that Connie Grant was born in 1905 and did indeed teach ballroom in the 1920s she married Harry Sylvester a dance band leader in 1935. When I went to her classes it was for ballet and her daughter Judy Sylvester taught as well as Connie herself in the 50s that was on Psalter Lane. I remember Connie being on come dancing and she did have formation teams that she taught. I Know that she had a dance studio on West street but whether it was in the 1920s I don't know. Your Mother would have been the same age as my mother who played piano for her.

Thinking about it she lived at the Psalter Lane studio as well and it was also used for ballroom.

Edited by SILLY

Connie Grant also had a place on Psalter Lane before she moved to West Street. If I remember rightly her formation team appeared quite a few times on Come Dancing.

Connie Grants was on West Street ,Langsett Road was Fred and Ada Holmes :suspect:

In the '50s Constance Grant's place was called the Cavendish Ballroom on West Street. It was on the first (or maybe the second) floor of the Cavendish building.

Today the Cavendish restaurant is at street level in the same spot.

echo.

Thank you, all of you who have responded so quickly to my original post. The information you have provided is invaluable to me. From the addresses of Connie Grant's dancing schools along with the likely location of the primary school my mother probably attended as well as the address where she lived I have been able to see the area of Sheffield she would have been familiar with as a child. This means a great deal to me.

If I am correct the area is Highfields and what looks to me like the parish of St. Paul. Having checked Psalters Lane on the map I think it is perfectly feasible that my mother could have attended Connie Grant's dancing classes there.

One further fact I recently found in her wedding album came from a local newspaper clipping of her wedding. In this it mentioned that my mother was a member of the International Dancing Master's Association. I am not sure exactly what status membership of this Association would have had in the dance community, but I am guessing it would require someone to pass examinations and that once accepted a certificate/diploma would have been awarded and possibly a medallion of some kind. Sadly there was no sign of such a certificate, or a medal, amongst her effects, but such things are easily lost over the years.

It sounds as if she could have been a dance teacher herself twoleftfeet or certainly passed all her exams what was your mother's name ? Perhaps somebody might know of her.

It's possible she may have been a dance teacher, but I don't have anything to substantiate it. Her name was Katherine Bestwick.

Did anyone go to gwen wilkings on richmond road i went there 1970-1980

Hi Louise I also went during this time Louise, I think I remember you. Did you have dark hair? I was Claire Leaning then. I remember Miss Wilkin standing on our legs as we were doing the splits in limbering up. A show at the Montgomery Hall. People in my class - Alison Joyce, Karen and Katie Merriman, Terri Bolsover. Miss Julie and Miss Gail....do you remember more?

I went to Mrs Bart-Smiths in Ecclesall. I have a photo from about 1965 from the end of year show which was Mary Poppins.

Prior to that I went to a lady in Abbey Lane who was short, had curly hair and wore classes and trousers - can't remember her name.

I think that would probably be Thelma Saynor

Collinson's, Havelock Square, mid 50's.[/quote

My last wife taught at Collinsons..Shirley Chilton She was a bronze silver and gold ballroom dancing nedalist

Yes I learnt the basics at Collinsons even a bit further back about 1948-9 when their Father Walter Collinson was still teaching, I was taught privately on several occasions by a lovely red headed young lady I think called Audrey.I think I was about 16 17 at the time, A girl friend took me there the first time and soon we were to be going steady as they used to call it and even after I had done national service and we were married we went back a few times.

They used to have private lessons through the week but a Saturday night hop where a bit of group instruction took place but mostly just dancing, quite an attraction for us in those austere days,I think it was only about one shilling for the night and a few coppers for a drink of tea or orange mid way, all held in a large extension at the rear of the house. westmoors

I attended Marjorie Field's Dancing School for over 10 years during the late 1940s and 50s. My name then was Carol Lowe. I initially went to her London Road Studio then later Granville Road. One of my contemporaries was Judy Marvell. She later joined one of the Tiller Girl troops who used to appear in variety shows around the country. The last time I met Judy she was in a Roy Castle Summer show at Lytham St Annes probably in the late 50s. I left the dancing school in the early 60s to go to college. I also remember Brenda Rigby. We did annual shows with other dancing schools at the City Hall. All the children would assemble on the stage for the finale and sing 'There's no business like show business'. Happy memories.