Old dancing schools

Netta's death certificate shows she died 22 August 1979. The date and place of birth on the certificate says "about 1908 Portugal". The certificate was completed by her brother Armando (my late grandfather). I know Netta's mother (Elizabeth Gibb Donald) was a Tiller Girl, she was at John Tiller's school on the 1901 census. Her father was Hercules Daviso, an Italian circus performer.

On Burngreave Rd on the left hand side looking towards town, there was the red brick Catholic Church, was it the Notre Dame or the DeLaSalle? anyway across the street on the same side was a big house, I knew it as the 'Conservative Club', they tought ballroom dancing there approx the 50's. - I think it was a man and wife who ran it, does anybody remember it or their names?

Fayre Daviso dancing school at 260 Barnsley Rd was run by Zena Fairbotham & Ninette (Netta) Daviso. Both were professional dancers. At some time Netta was a Tiller Girl.I was there from 1942 to 1952 when I left to become a Tiller Girl. Several pupils from that era became professional dancers. When the school split 260 Barnsley Rd became Ninette Daviso school of dancing. Netta died about 1979. After Zena, who had moved to Filey, died about 1989/90 a few former pupils got together. We call ourselves the 260 Club, & still meet about twice a year for lunch & a natter.

PamH

I was pretty impressed when I read that you went to be a Tiller Girl, there was a girl (who was probably a couple of years younger than me), who on leaving Owler Lane School in Grimesthorpe (probably same time frame as yourself) went to London to be a professional dancer, I presume she had been in dance all her life and was going to make it a career. - I know it's a long shot but I'm thinking, you were both dancers from Sheffield around the same time. - I've often thought what became of her and did her dreams of being a dancer materialise? - She was a dark attractive girl and I think her name was Gwen Hyde.

I went to Owler Lane infants & Grimesthorpe County in the 40's. A friend at Owler Lane, Winifred, went to Fayre Daviso too but didn't dance professionally. The name Gwen Hyde doesn't ring any bells. Sorry. Pam

Alf Gold's dancing school was on an upper floor of St Paul's Parade, now converted to apartments. We used to go on the pull and never really treat it seriously.

Charlie Parkins ballroom lessons under the Greystones picture Palace on Eccelsall raod

Any pupils of Constance Grants O.T. Formation team (Come Dancing T.V.) early to mid fifties Stan Grundy teacher.

Love to have a chat

Brian Jordan

Any pupils of Constance Grants O.T. Formation team (Come Dancing T.V.) early to mid fifties Stan Grundy teacher.

Love to have a chat

Brian Jordan

I think my mom, Margaret, went to Constance Grants about that time and I'm sure she mentioned Stan Grundy. She wasn't in the OT Formation team though but I don't suppose you remember her do you?

Hi, Bells ain't ringing? Was she O.T. or Mod I danced both? what area did you live then?

Thanks for reply Bri

Hi, Bells ain't ringing? Was she O.T. or Mod I danced both? what area did you live then?

Thanks for reply Bri

Think she did both - perhaps some of time with husband (to be?), Norman. Alas, they are not around to ask.

Hi Vera

I remember going to the dance, I think it was on a Monday either just before or just after we left school which would be '59 ish. Can't remember the chap's name who ran it though. The memory lapses get longer and longer.

TWhits, Still no bells a ringing mate. Sorry for your loss!