Old dancing schools

Sally Carmichaels was on flower est firth park 1970s ,did a panto at Montgomery hall surrey st at xmas, her most famous girl she had was the late

Martie Cane

I would love to be in contact with any girls who attended Miss Marjorie Fields dancing school. I started there at the age of 3 and left in 1955/6

I'm Gloria Nixon (nee Atkin), I attended Marjorie Fields aged 8 for 7 years (1943) to (1950). 'The 3 of us ' as we were called, Margaret Lashley, Brenda Jones and myself were always danced together. If anybody recalls those days, please get in touch.

The name Grundy rings a bell. I think he was the tall one. The other, I can't remember his name, married Pam, my neighbour.

I remember Stan Grundy and another one called Paul Beeton (I think) at Constance Grant's on West Street.

I went to Jaqueline Rodgers school of dancing on Stannington Road. Her brother is Bryan Rodgers whos dancers perform on tv in royal varietys and things.

Hi GloriaN. Are you the Gloria Nixon who used to live in a flat on Psalter Lane and went to Hallam University on a WOW course in the eighties?

I went to June fletchers dancing school in the 70's. This was at Birley spa Baths in the Hall, I loved it so much i did Tap and Balley. I also was in a play at the Montgomery Hall in sheffield Town center.

I know Gill Roberts who, I think, used to teach at Constance Grants about 1969/70.

anyone remember FAIRDIVISO ON BARNSLEY RD It was next to the Limes club opposite the end of Norwood rd. Run by Miss Fairbothom and Miss Davison?

I used to go to Edith Hursts when I was very small. Much much later I used to teach ballroom and latin at the Court School of Dancing which was in the Abbeydale Ballroom. That was in 1967. Ken ran it with Gene, Linda, Doreen and me as teachers. I akso went to Marjorie Fields in about 1951 for tap, ballet and acro. I wish the old bones could do the same things now as they did then.

I started at Marjoris when I was three years old(am now73) I spent 15 years there as a pupil and part time teacher. Did ballet, tap, acrobatics, and od course ballroom. I started ballroom in 1952 and got my gold bar in 1954. Intended to open my own school but got sidetracked by a young man who is now my husband celebrate our 54th anniversary this year. Girls I remember are Barbara Thornhill, Brenda, Dorothy. Like you I wish my old bones could still twist and turn like it used to but I can still make an arch although I have to do it from the floor upwards lol

In the early 50's I went to the Crown School of Dancing run by Yvonne?? whose family ran the Crown Inn at the junction of Chesterfield Rd and Albert Rd. Lessons were held in a church hall just past Meersbrook Park Rd. Not sure if I've got the road names right - it's nearly 50 years since I married and left Sheffield.

My main memory of the dancing school was taking part in 'Pot Pourri' in the City Hall.

Oh I remeber the Pot Pourri so well used to love it

anyone remember FAIRDIVISO ON BARNSLEY RD It was next to the Limes club opposite the end of Norwood rd. Run by Miss Fairbothom and Miss Davison?

Remember this school. Never went there but always thought it was the best school in Sheffield. Particularly remember the acrobatics they used to do

I went to Miss Daviso's for some years in the 1950's at 260 Barnsley Rd. Apparently her proper name was Marie Antoinette .

The dancing school was in fact Ninettes (Netta) house. It was a very large detached residence set above the road and reached by a flight of around 15 steps. It was located on the left side of Barnsley Road going towards the city opposite and just above the junction with Norwood Road.

What would have been the lounge and dining room was the dancing school and was a wooden floored room bare except for a space for a record player and I seem to recall a piano but can't be certain of that plus a few wooden chairs. I am fairly sure that most of the living accommodation with upstairs although there may have been one other room downstairs in addition to the kitchen.

She taught children and adults both individually and also held evening adult dances where pupils could attend and dance with other pupils. I think there was another lady there who taught dancing with her but am not certain.

She also did other things. When I was about 5 or 6 I had a lot of time off school with illness. I think that made mum and dad think I was a weakling and needed building up so I was sent to Miss Daviso's for PT lessons - handstands , backward and forward rolls etc - was there no end to the womens talents !!

A few years ago I was in contact with a relative of Netta Daviso's. Apparently her & her 2 brothers came to England before 2nd war & were naturalised. He reckons she started the dancing school about 1945.

She died in 1979 in Sheffield.

Edited by johnpm