Old dancing schools

I used to go to Collinsons on Hanover Square from being four to being fourteen. It was Les's parents, Walter and Kathleen,(I think that was her name) who ran the old time side and Les and his wife who used to do the Modern (as it was called then) I took my first bronze medal for old time in 1953. I went back in 1975 and took my last gold bar for modern in 1975.

Edited by Janber

I used to go to Edith Hursts when I was very small. Much much later I used to teach ballroom and latin at the Court School of Dancing which was in the Abbeydale Ballroom. That was in 1967. Ken ran it with Gene, Linda, Doreen and me as teachers.

I used to go to Edith Hursts when I was very small. Much much later I used to teach ballroom and latin at the Court School of Dancing which was in the Abbeydale Ballroom. That was in 1967. Ken ran it with Gene, Linda, Doreen and me as teachers. I akso went to Marjorie Fields in about 1951 for tap, ballet and acro. I wish the old bones could do the same things now as they did then.

I went to ballroom classes at the Cavendish Ballroom on West Street, upstairs over some shops, in the mid 1950's. Really I would have preferred to learn to bop (jive) but sadly never managed to sort out my two left feet. I still can't dance!

Mike

Wow janber!!! The only other person other than me who went t o Edith Hirst school of dancing. I went for several months before I was involved in an accident (aged 4 1/2), I was getting off the tram outside the Abbeydale cinema, when a car shot round the corner from Sheldon Road (?) and floored me. I was in the Childrens Hospital for almost seven months recovering from my injuries. My friend Hilary was with me. I remember like it was yesterday, yet it is 60 years ago, scary!!!!!!

Did anyone go to gwen wilkings on richmond road i went there 1970-1980

Hi Hetty

Just seen your post. Dancing was my life back then. My parents were in to old tyme big style. When I was very young I used to go to Sheila Tyas's on ~Cemetery Road, that was also for tap ballet and acro but mostly my dancing was old tyme back then.

We used to go to the Abbeydale, run by Joe Marshall on a Monday and the Cutlers Hall on a Thursday with Louis Pecks band. David? Gascoigne was the MC and I used let the New Year in when I was about 7 as the New Year fairy (don't ask). I used to go to Collinsons on Havelock Square for lessons on Thursday and dancing class Saturday morning. My parents wouldn't pay for lessons in ballroom so old man Walter paid for me himself in exchange my dancing with his learners on Tuesday and Friday night and helping out at dance class on Saturday morning. They were great times and I'm now getting very nostalgic. Don't do much of anything these days what with old age povery and arthritis Ha ha.

I went to Collinson's, Havelock Square in the 70 `s had lessons Doreen was a really good dance school

In the early 50's I went to the Crown School of Dancing run by Yvonne?? whose family ran the Crown Inn at the junction of Chesterfield Rd and Albert Rd. Lessons were held in a church hall just past Meersbrook Park Rd. Not sure if I've got the road names right - it's nearly 50 years since I married and left Sheffield.

My main memory of the dancing school was taking part in 'Pot Pourri' in the City Hall.

Hi Denise853b

The last time I went to Collinsons on a regular basis was way back in 1959 so I didn't know Doreen. I only went back in '75 to take my 1st. Gold bar in ballroom so only had a few lessons to brush up on my steps. Were Les and his wife still running it when you were there. They were very good teachers and nice people. I wonder if they're still around.

Edited by Janber
Missed text

Does anyone recall a dancing school on INDUSTRY RD,DARNALL. It was run by a girl by the name of BERYL TURNER.I first met her at the roller rink at ATTERCLIFFE,then i used to see her different places around DARNALL,at that time i was working for GEORGE THORPE, who owned GREENTHORPES,on PRINCE OF WALES RD.They were in the process of starting up the service station on GREENLAND RD.If any one has any information at all,with regards to BERYL could you please get back to me.thanks a lot.eightlegger.

Hi ieghtlegger

No, sorry. I went to a lot of places as a kid and teenager but that one doesn't ring any bells.