Old dancing schools

My sister-in-law Maureen Fields taught dancing and worked for Marjorie Fields in the mid 50s. Sadly Maureen passed away in 1962 age 32yrs.

My younger years were spent at Joan Collins dance school at Commonside and Freedom Road Walkley. Meet my husband at Collinsons dance school, it was a Weston Road school reunion 1958.

Those were the days my friends. Celt

When were you at Joan Collins? I was there from around 1967 to 1978.

yep, i once was dancing with my partner when we nearly collided with another couple, as we moved back my stilleto heel caught in the other guys trouser turnup & ripped his pants.

turned out he was a police detective, i was very worried for a while.

Do u remember the guy that taught us,i think he was paul ??

The name Grundy rings a bell. I think he was the tall one. The other, I can't remember his name, married Pam, my neighbour.

I remember the one underneath the old Abbeydale picture palace from the mid 60's it was a court school of dancing with Ken as the manager. In later years Ken bought the place and it became the Kay gee bee, possibly the best sprung ballroom floor in the city

he also rented out on the weekends for all niter's

No carlray, the dancing school I meant was much farther down Pitsmoor Road opposite Tupholmes, which was just around the corner to the left, from the top of Minna Road. There seemed to be a class every night of the week so they did well. I think Day's was strictly ballroom and I like to think that on a still night at midnight you can still hear the strains of the Hokey Cokey from there. Just imagine if that was really what it was all about.

I went to one at pitsmoor, would be on the road that goes down from where the funeral directors is now on the corner. it was run by someone called margaret arden if my memory is right, c.1970s and my mum took me. :D

he also rented out on the weekends for all niter's

You mean the northern soul all nighters of course but it also had times as a blues club playing rreggae and a brief stint doing mod nights. Also had quite a long spell as a rock venue. All of these were quite an eye opener for any of the regular ballroom dancing lot who might wander in.

Does anyone remember Ladybirds that was at the bottom of Idsworth Road?

Collinson's, Havelock Square, mid 50's.[/quote

My last wife taught at Collinsons..Shirley Chilton She was a bronze silver and gold ballroom dancing nedalist

Edited by pjkay

There was a dancing school on Pitsmoor Road, just before the turning into Rutlland Road, I used to deliver the 'Star' there. I'd listen sometimes because on a couple of occasions the teacher was playing a recording of 'Hello Central, Give me Doctor Jazz' by Jellyroll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. The pupils would tap to it. Their time was terrible I remember. Incidentely, I liked jazz and girls.

I think you will find it was called Marina school of dancing.Maureen was her name ,avery slim,lady with long black hair,it was next to Teds barbers.

Hold the phone bullerboY, Ted's was on Burngreave Road,more or less opposite the Catholic Church, corner of Melrose Road.

The dancing school opposite to Wilson Tupholmes was run by a Mrs Mciver. The dancing school was run in part of a large,and what must have at one time a very grand,house.All three of my sisters attended the dancing school in the early sixties.

I bet there isn't anyone who remembers The Edith Hirst school of dancing on Abbeydale Road.....? Just below the Abbeydale picture house on the other side of the road!

My wife is now used to go to Edith Hirst in the 50's she was then Sandra Barnes

Collinson's Havelock Square,

Les Collinson was my schoolteacher at Parson Cross and Chaucer Schools, when I left school I went to his dancing school in Havelock Square which he then ran with his wife and dancing teachers. Much later on in life I bumped into him in Sheffield and he recognised me imediately. Les Collinson to me was a total and utter gentleman he was good at his chosen profession teaching.