Old dancing schools

joan mottram bottom of wood street fred homes top of wood street sheff 6

Didn’t all the dance schools put on a show once a year at the City Hall?

I think it was called Pot Pourie but it might have had a different name every year.We had a dress rehearsal the week before.

The City hall seemed enormous and had many dressing rooms….Carol

I went to a Gwen Rigby somewhere off Ecclesall Rd in the early 1940,s

i paid for 6 lessons but only managed survived 2 of then

Was it Connie Grant that was at Psalter lane, in the late forties, l went there at 3 years old but left at 4 cos school and late nights 5 ish did not mix.

does any body

Edited by scallyann

There was a dancing school on Pitsmoor Road, just before the turning into Rutlland Road, I used to deliver the 'Star' there. I'd listen sometimes because on a couple of occasions the teacher was playing a recording of 'Hello Central, Give me Doctor Jazz' by Jellyroll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. The pupils would tap to it. Their time was terrible I remember. Incidentely, I liked jazz and girls.

My sister-in-law Maureen Fields taught dancing and worked for Marjorie Fields in the mid 50s. Sadly Maureen passed away in 1962 age 32yrs.

My younger years were spent at Joan Collins dance school at Commonside and Freedom Road Walkley. Meet my husband at Collinsons dance school, it was a Weston Road school reunion 1958.

Those were the days my friends. Celt

There was a dancing school on Pitsmoor Road, just before the turning into Rutlland Road, I used to deliver the 'Star' there. I'd listen sometimes because on a couple of occasions the teacher was playing a recording of 'Hello Central, Give me Doctor Jazz' by Jellyroll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. The pupils would tap to it. Their time was terrible I remember. Incidentely, I liked jazz and girls.

Hi Texas, Would that be Days Dance School at the Toll Bar which later became The Mojo and then Kings Bingo Club.

No carlray, the dancing school I meant was much farther down Pitsmoor Road opposite Tupholmes, which was just around the corner to the left, from the top of Minna Road. There seemed to be a class every night of the week so they did well. I think Day's was strictly ballroom and I like to think that on a still night at midnight you can still hear the strains of the Hokey Cokey from there. Just imagine if that was really what it was all about.

Was it Connie Grant that was at Psalter lane, in the late forties, l went there at 3 years old but left at 4 cos school and late nights 5 ish did not mix.

Yes it was I went there my Mum used to play the piano for her.

I was taught by a very nice lady called liz at concord, before being later taught by a woman called claire at concord, i miss those days, when they refurbished concord they stopped dance lessons, alas ,tis no more ):

Hi, just a long shot but my mum and dad ran a dance school under Greystones picture palace in and around 1946/8. mum gave up teaching when she had me but dad went on to be a judge. anyone other than family go there?