Old dancing schools

I bet there isn't anyone who remembers The Edith Hirst school of dancing on Abbeydale Road.....? Just below the Abbeydale picture house on the other side of the road!

I went to Barbra Wades dancing school in woodhouse at the old vestry hall - did shows at beaverhill school.

Also went to the Stork School of Dancing woodhouse at Brockwood Park Infant School then later at the Central Club and Church Hall on Beighton road - old time sequence - was a good school

Yes that was the one. I went there at the age of three and it was probably around 1956 that I left. I had my wedding reception in the studio in Granville Road in 1957. My name was Coral Savage. I remember a Barbara Thornhill, (who was my bridesmaid) Dorothy and Maureen. Lovely to hear from you

Coral

Hi Coral. Your name of Savage has got my attention. My wife's maiden name is Margaret Ruth Savage aged 80. We married in March '55 shortly after meeting at the City Hall dances. (ex Tinsley girl) Some of the dates you mention parallel ours. Wonder if there's a family connection?. Regards.

I went to Miss Wards on Woodseats lane - around 1974ish.... in the same class as Suzanne Dooley and we did 'Razzle Dazzle' Show at Merlin Theatre every couple of years. Anyone else ??

Me too, from about the same time

Connie Grants on West St.

yes remember that one and also Collinsons dance school bootmof the Moor nr eccleshall rd..Pkay Cape Town:):)

yep, i once was dancing with my partner when we nearly collided with another couple, as we moved back my stilleto heel caught in the other guys trouser turnup & ripped his pants.

turned out he was a police detective, i was very worried for a while.

Do u remember the guy that taught us,i think he was paul ??

Hi owlschick I think you will find it was Fred Holmes,my cousin was the deejay in the sixties his name was Jimmy Barker

I went to Shirley Tindalls which was somewhere off Granville Road.

I remember the one underneath the old Abbeydale picture palace from the mid 60's it was a court school of dancing with Ken as the manager. In later years Ken bought the place and it became the Kay gee bee, possibly the best sprung ballroom floor in the city

Hi owlschick I think you will find it was Fred Holmes,my cousin was the deejay in the sixties his name was Jimmy Barker

It would be City Limits When owlschick would be going,they took over when Fred Holmes passed away. I usedto go there in the early fifties when it was Freds,I new Jimmy Barker. It must have been one of the most popular places in Sheffield for teenagers at that time it was the only place in Sheffield to allow bop to the top twenty records.

i went to court school of dancing also got quite a few medals there also went to rooftops near the fountains in town and connie grants on west street and brenda rigbys sharrow anyone remember she shouted at me on stage for dropping my hat and picking it up lol