Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

are you our oldest one yet awoollen ? 19/11 what would that be in todays money :suspect:

i do not know how mutch its worth today but i just keep plodding along born in 1930

1959 and a wage of 2 pounds 1 shilling and 4 pence for a 48 hour week. I was an engineering apprentice working for Fred Camm Engineers, 5 John Street.

Mine was £2-8- 2p per wk in 1959 take home pay after deductions £1-19s.

Edited by j4yc

In 1956, I was articled to a chartered accountant and received the fantastic remuneration of 12 guineas per month, before stoppages. This included Saturday mornings. My boss told me that I should consider myself fortunate as some pupils still had to pay for their tuition.

Mike

My dad was a setter and sharpener in the saw department at FBT at that time,

i was apprentice fitter,i stuck it for 12mnths Dad stayed for years.

£14 a week in 1976 at Centaur Cast Alloys ont Parkway, Straighten and Gauge department making sure the metal hip joints and DC10 engine parts were straight and within tolerance. A pint was 14p, 10 no.6 were 9p, bus fare was 2p and me Mam got the rest.

£7 per week at Cole Brothers 1970.

My sister started the same year for £5 as an office junior and other friends also earned £5 as shop assistants.

I wasn't allowed to keep more money than my sister and was made to pay £2 extra board.

Cue moody and magnificent teenage tantrums of which my parents took not a jot of notice!

My first wage in 1970 as a G.P.O telephonist was £8, can still remember the thrill of queing up, and having that crinkly envelope handed to me.

My mum decided it was £2 for her, £2 for me, for bus fares etc, £2 for clothes and £2 to save, wow it sure did go a long way.

I started work as an engineering apprentice at English Steel Corporation (latterly British Steel Corporation}, at the age of 15, in August 1963 when I was paid the princely sum of £2-15s-0d per week (£2.75p). We worked a 42 hour week.

I gave my mother £1 per week, 15 shillings went on bus fares and sandwiches and I had a whole £1 to myself. In those days I spent it on football matches 2 shillings (10p) or a pop record (45 rpm), they were 6s 8d (abt 33p)

My pay rose by £1 per week every birthday until my 21st in June 1969 when I was paid £28 per week - so much for the Amalgamated Engineering Union.

Edited by Nodens

i thought £3.55 was bad 5years ago when i was 16 lol.. the chequers pub at coal-aston

apprentice at firth brown 17/9 per week for 6 months then 21 shillingsup to 18 yrs old then i went in the army and took a pay cut out of which we had to buy brasso polish and blanco the good old days we were screwed getting shot at for about a quid in korea what a laugh. wouldnt have missed it for the world trust worthy mates to cover your back and get you out of the muck. long lasting friends times to treasure lol

My first job in 1970,

a farm labourer @ £5:00 a week.

Mucked out pigs, chickens & dog kennels,

also painted all the woodwork on the farm

with creosote and tar.

Must have smelt like a walking farmyard

when I caught the bus back home,

happy days.

m&p :)