Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

Joined Royal Navy 1978. Paid £26 fortnightly in cash but only after I had to march up to the officer, salute, shout my service number and hold my cap out in front of me, where said cash was deposited :roll:

That wasn't with the signals was it?

No the artillery.

I left school in 1980 and started work straight away earning £99.50 per week, which was a very good wage for a school leaver.

In 1942 as office junior, got 7/6d. plus war bonus of 7/6d. total of 15 shillings. I was allowed to keep 2 shillings as spending money by my mother. I appreciated this cos it was a giant leap from the few pennies whilst at school. Hours were 9-6 Mon-Fri and Sat mornings.

Edited by JOGI

3 guineas Or £3.3shillings Firth Brown Tools 1958 after board and bus fares i had 10shillings

for the week.

Hi Shaznay That will be me maybe,l started work at 14 at T B +W COCKAYNE'S, Cabinet shop appre;cabinet maker. My daily routine was, 8am empty6 rat traps, one in each every morn, light all 12 glue kettles and fill them up, next sweep up round 19 benches and get rid, next fill 2 massive iron kettles and put them to boil on an open fire, next l'd go to every bloke to see what they wanted me to fetch for dinner. l had a big apron pocket,a large plywood box, then off to Dixon lane fill the box with fruit [a good morning to big Ada] who stood 1st at the top, Kidders for soup in a sealed container, then Davy's for for about 6/8 sandwiches then stagger back and share out and give change, sometimes, if it was a halfpenny one or two would say keep it but not often. Next wash pots and mugs and mash the tea for bang on 12am then after the half hour break and i'd recovered[ l would eat mine on the go,] first one wanted work bringing from the machine shop, floor below, then another one would be waiting for theirs, and grumbling if l was, what he would call a long time possibly 5 min , things slacked a bit by 4 pm and would get to my bench to do a bit. Its 5pm and l would try to catch the 5 pm Petre st bus from Fitzalan Square if l`dashed`down Castle st at the lights at Davy's corner Well this was the same every day, bit easier on Sat's for this l received 9s/6d per week for the first 6 months the 10 bob !!! AND 2D MORE SPENDS NOW 1s 8d. Now Shazard have l won, 85 last week. Cheers Arthur.

haha and tell that to the kids of today, and they wont belive ya

june 1974 straight from school, at 16 .£14.94p was my first wage at WILLIAM GREENS of ecclesfield as an apprentice welder. i gave my mother £5 and the rest was shared out between the tankard and griffin. beer was 12 pence a pint and 4 plays for 2 bob on the juke box.

£4.7s 6d in 1967 at Connie Kings hairdressers at Handsworth apprentice hairdresser.

£5.12s.9d in 1967. Sales Office in a steel works.

Paid £3 board....ran a car, went out with mi mates..saved ten bob.

My first job was in the offices of the English Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane. The hours were 8.30am to 5.30pm. Mon-Frid and Saturday morning. My wage was 1 pound 2.6 pence, if we didn't arrive late any morning for 3 weeks plus Mon-Fri the 4th.week we got One Saturday morning per month off, even 1 minute late in the month and no Saturday off.

The working conditions were pretty good. For a hot lunch there was a dining room, watresses in long black dresses and frilly white aprons plus a white frilly cap, we were also served tea morning and afternoon. The charge was modest, I cannot remember how much.

This was in 1945. I got to keep the Half a Crown spending money (2s 6pence) and my mother gave me the tram fares, I thought that I was very well off as my father had died in 1942 and money was tight.

3 guineas Or £3.3shillings Firth Brown Tools 1958 after board and bus fares i had 10shillings

for the week.

i worked there at that time holding up in the sawsmiths shop 10 pounds a week