Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

In 1964 I was offered £3.10s per week as a legal trainee with Keeble Hawson & Co. but turned it down when Geo Bassetts offered £5.00 per week as a trainee cost accountant. Biggest mistake of my life as I would have been far more happy as a solicitor, and probably richer as well.

Edited by Dorset Blade

hi my first wage in 1955 was £1-19s 10p

1971   £5 a week take home pay, apprentice sheetmetal worker at ernest h hill ltd fitzwilliam st

J f Finnegan 1967. 10/11/6d    and had to work 2 Saturday mornings to have extra day a Christmas. The off ice had storage heaters that did not work Saturdays we were in a wooden but at the side of the church on Ecclesall road

Worked part time as a DJ at Silver blades  in 1967 for 3 hrs a session for 30bob one pond fifty's session

In 1965, when  I was 15. I worked at Alderson Dust & Graham. I was the office boy and my wage was £3.10 shillings per week. Less 9 shillings for my national insurance stamp. Paid my Mum and dad my keep. Think I had £1.10 shillings for myself.

Wonder if kids still pay their way now. I’m sure some do

£27.88 a week in 1983 to 84 as an apprentice electrician, never any different even if you did overtime.

£12,900 a year when I got my first "proper" job (1995). I thought I had won the lottery when I got my first payslip. 

When i started work1962 my first wage was £2 .10shillings.

I started work in 1974, as a Clerical Assistant for Post Office Telecommunications, (which later morphed into British Telecom, then, later, became BT). My first wage was £14.63 a week - and I remember being the envy of my most of my friends, who left school on the same day as I did. Most of them became factory girls, shop assistants, hairdressing apprentices etc - and were earning about £8-10 a week - so I was earning  "good money" in comparison to my peer group.

I still lived at home then and my parents were quite reasonable in what they asked us to pay for our "board" when their kids started work.  Their rule was quite simple - they asked for a third of our take-home  pay - whatever we were earning.

Out of my £14.63 a week, I gave my parents £4.50...and out of the ten quid or so left, I bought clothes, went up town with my mates, did a pub crawl and ended up somewhere like Scamps or Genevieve "nite spots" at least once a week on a Friday or Saturday. I went to the local pubs with mates on a midweek evening  at least one a week, went with them to watch Wednesday at Hillsborough when they were playing at home. I could afford a fairly pleasant lifestyle.

The wages back then seem ludicrously low - but so were the prices. It was about 20p for a pint of bitter, 25p for a pint of lager, the admission fee into the discos was about 25p too - but you smuggled your own alcoholic drinks in - rammed inside  your poky little 70's handbag - because their drinks were 3 times the price of the same in pubs!  Crikey...how some things have changed … and yet some things are much the same! I guess it's all relative, really. 

Edited by FIRETHORN1

2 pound 17 and 6d At Franklin's Decorators then at Southey Green shops Herries Road (next to Essoldo)-8am-5:30 pm, five days as an apprentice painter in August 1962.