Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

I joined the Royal Navy just before my 17th birthday in 1949, daily rate of pay was 1/6d , or 10s 6d. per week.

First wage was in 67 as an apprentice gasfitter and was 5 pounds

1952 4th Radio Officer on a P&O liner for £21 a month but that was 'all found'.

I'm not that old but i remember my first wage back in 1998, it was cash in the hand, and it was £76.. i worked 30hrs as a care worker in a residential home..

My first job 1969/70 was sales at Jacksons the Tailors The Moor, for which I just got 10 Guineas (10£ 10s 0d) left one year later, having served Pickertywitch with suits for act, I seem to remember the bus fares then were just £0 :0 :2d each way?

(240d to £1 pre decimal)

Edited by DeZeus
Value

You could pretty much go from one side of Sheffield to the other for around 10p in those days. Remember catching a bus from Firth Park library to Barnsley market place and it costing 12p each way

My first job 1969/70 was sales at Jacksons the Tailors The Moor, for which I just got 10 Guineas (10£ 10s 0d) left one year later, having served Pickertywitch with suits for act, I seem to remember the bus fares then were just £0 :0 :2d each way?

(240d to £1 pre decimal)

We may have crossed paths:

Manager for Jackson the Tailor age 23 was £33 per week including commission, good job there was suit allowance.

Regards,

Duffems

I started work at Wiggies on Middlewood Rd in 1955 my first wage wa £3.17 06. per week.

I started work at Wiggies on Middlewood Rd in 1955 my first wage wa £3.17 06. per week.

That wasn't a bad starting wage in 1955!

Fancied working in an office when I left school in 1957. Went to the Youth Employment Bureau on West Street & was handed a long list of companies who had vacancies. Was advised to contact Holman Bros.Ltd at Queen's Tower,Park Grange Road who had the 'finest offices in Sheffield'. Was offered a job at £2/18/6p per week including Saturday mornings.Went home & told mum about the offer who said it was not enough, after taking into account the bus fares from Totley. Contacted the branch manager who said he would contact his Directors at the head office in Camborne, Cornwall. Came back & said they would up it to £3/18/6p !! Worked at Queen's Tower for fifteen years enjoying sitting in a deck chair in the spacious grounds at lunch time.

The weekly pay slips were made out on petty cash vouchers. I managed to get a blank one, filled it in as though I was getting £12 per week. Folded it & dropped it on the floor. Uproar followed when someone picked it up !! - Happy days !

my first wage was £13 for a 40 hr week working as an receptionist at Neepsend head office

cigs were 6 pence for 5 and 11 1/2p for ten gave board to mum £8 and I could go out twice a week and also buy my dinner and pay for my bus fares and put a little by each week. lol this was in 1977 I was 15 1/2yrs old