Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

2 Quid a week, apprentice TV tech at Wigfall's.

£2.18.4 per week for 40hrs. I nearly always worked Saturday morning until 11.30 then off to play football at FBT ground Ecclesfield.

1972 £5.50 a week as a production apprentice at BSC on Sheffield rd by 1975 I was on £25 and my dad thought that was good money.

First house 18 month old semi detached in Catcliffe £6500. Yer seems unbelievable now six and a half grand.

I must hold the record.

7pence, farthing an hour (7d 1/4) for a 44 hour week at F.H. Wheelers, with most of that going to our single mother household!

£3.7s.1p an apprentice at Jessop Savilles Brightside lane 1963

Weekend job in carwash 1969, 50p for Saturday, £1 for Sunday, 90 cars washed on average.

First proper job working in I.T., or Data Processing as we called it then, for Unilever £532 per year after 4 years in Uni.

1971 factory worker 40 hour week plus Saturday morning overtime took home pay £7.00 a pint of Websters Pennine bitter 10 pence

Edited by suzyoo
update

If my memory is not letting me down,and not my first pay packet.

As a a private doing National Service 2 pounds 4 shillings around 1951

Senior Service Fags, 6 old pence for 20

That will take some beatng

My first wage at 15yrs was £2.7.6. Apprentice butcher with Gilvarays on Gower Street. He took 2/6 back and put it in a bank account for me.

I left school in 1968 and was set on as an apprentice turner at Firth Browns. My first wage was £3-17s-4d, which was about 8p a hour in decimal money.

I started work in 1982 on £2,000 per annum at 17 after leaving college. In them days you had a pay rise alongside your age. I can remember going into the Director's office just after my 18th birthday and him saying that my wages had increased to £2018.00 per annum!

My first wage was 2-15s-6d .Working at Kayser Ellisons on Carlisle st, 1959.