Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

1954 junior engineer, Guided Weapons Dept, Vickers Armstrong, Weybridge Surrey . Wage 8 pounds / week.

I saw an add in the local paper at the time for a butchers assistant at the same wage . I thought how poorly graduate engineers were paid if my wage was typical.To be fair, I must say that within three years of starting at Vickers my wage had more than doubled.

When you say Weybridge, woud this be BROOKLANDS (now vintage car / aircraft museum.(other than that I have a connection with Weybridge).

When you say Weybridge, woud this be BROOKLANDS (now vintage car / aircraft museum.(other than that I have a connection with Weybridge).

Yes,the Guided Weapons Dept was on the grounds of the old Brooklands race track (as was the aircraft factory).The airfield was in the center of the race track.In 1954 Vickers Armstrong was still building aircraft.

Hi Thanks for your reply. My interest in Brooklands is that my 86 year old brother (also an engineer) lives nearby. His wife in a Nursing home in Weybridge. I went to see them last October and he advised me to visit Brooklands. Marvellous day. I was lucky it was a slack day, so an ex Spitfire pilot took me round and to finish the day off sat me at the controls of a Hawker Harrier Jump Jet. So this visit sparked off an interest and I have since visited 4 other aircraft museums. All the best.

:love:

You lot had it easy dint ya, £2/8/6 (£2.42 and 1/2p) take home pay for a 40 hour week back in 1964 as an apprentice miller.

--------------

HI YA MILLER

LOOKED LIKE YOUR WAGES WERE CRAP,-------

MY FIRST WAGE WAS IN 1956/7 WAS £ 3--15 SHILLINGS.

FOR WORKING TWO SHIFTS--6--2--AND 2--10 PM--40 HRS WEEK.

WORKED IN HAMMER SHOP --- FIRTH BROWNS.

:confuseD

---

:love:

--------------

HI YA MILLER

LOOKED LIKE YOUR WAGES WERE CRAP,-------

MY FIRST WAGE WAS IN 1956/7 WAS £ 3--15 SHILLINGS.

FOR WORKING TWO SHIFTS--6--2--AND 2--10 PM--40 HRS WEEK.

WORKED IN HAMMER SHOP --- FIRTH BROWNS.

:confuseD

---

That would be at 16 not 15 as you had to 16 to work shifts and 18 to work nights but I know the forge and rolling mills were the best paid jobs at the time

i used to pull my tripe out every day for my dad he paid me a tenner a day that was in 1991:mad:

2 pounds 10 shillings & sixpence at Darwin's Bright Steels on Alma Street in 1966

Apprentice plumber in 1962. Wage 9 old pennies per hour = £1.10shillings per week or £1.50 today

that would be at 16 not 15 as you had to 16 to work shifts and 18 to work nights but i know the forge and rolling mills were the best paid jobs at the time

------yes you were right on the age ( now getting older now)

soon forget.

That £ 3-15 shillings take home pay i had 10 bob spending

money and bought 5 cigs-- park drives per day.

and still had some change left-- good old days

Hairdresser at Bill Carrs on Mansfield Road Intake (not for long!) got 35 shillings a week, in 1960-61. I was very keen on John Hoyland whose sister married Mac Cocker, dad of Jarvis. Sadly John was killed in a diving incident many years ago, tho' Mary Hoyland died a few months ago aged about 90 0dd. Nice people.

Second week of July 1971 saw me opening my very first pay packet; there was something special about paydays and opening that little brown envelope with real money inside.

£6.40 for 40 hours work which gave me £5.98 take home pay of which £2.50 went on board the rest for me, I was king of the world. First thing I bought was a short sleeved Ben Sherman shirt from Colvins.

That was working at Thomas Rudd & Sons on Woodfold making surgical scissors, one of my duties was the Friday fish and chip run when I had to take everyone’s order (at least 30 individual requests) go to the chippie and make sure I was back bang on 12:30. If was late I get a clip for keeping them waiting, if I was just a few minutes early I got a clip “cos mi dinners cold” and woe betide me if I got an order wrong.

A fish was 6p and chips 3p and the perk for me was the chip shop owner gave me mine for free, well he did after I hinted that there was a chippie closer to work and I might start going there instead.

1943 1 quid a week painting and decorating for William Axe in Nether Edge and he expected me to pay my own tram fare.