Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

HI,

January 1952.

Office Boy at Davy United. Did this for almost a year before starting an engineering apprenticship at 16.

Take home pay, after deductions: One pound, six shillings and six pence.

Regards

found my first ever contract the other day.In 1973 working in the labs at the Sheffield Smelting company I was paid the princely sum of £875 per year or £16.82 per week

My first weekly wage in 1936 was 12s/6d, This was at the S&E Co-op .

Joined the RN in '41,and after a small allocation,drew 10s (50 pence) every fortnight.

1955, Telegraph & Star, High street, 30/- (£1.50). 44hr. 6 day week ..

37/- and 6 pence.1965, as an english steel apprentice

Apprentice plumber with SCPWD 1957. Two Pounds Ten shillings. 46 and 1/2 hours.

I started work in 1968 as an apprentice Painter & Decorator for W.J Wollertons at Broomhill. My first wage was £2-19s-11p. My mum took it all and gave me 10 shillings to spend. I used to blow that on a Friday night and then borrow back all week for bus fare. A fully qualified tradesmans rate was £20-00p a week then.

My mate went to work at Davies filling pork pies for £5 pound a weeek but I wanted a trade so had to take a lower wage.

Edited by Lostrider

Started in optical works of Leadbeater and Peters on Convent Walk,April 1944 at 14 as a trainee opthalmic lens edger at 1 pound 4 shillings a week, a five and half day week,all the other members of staff started at 8.15 am, but being under 16 I started at 9 am,a forty hour week, but when I reached 16 it became a 45 hours.

I started work as an office boy at Richdales brewery in August 1938 and my wage was 8 shillings a week for this i worked 8-30am to 5-30pm Monday to Friday and 8-30am until 1-0pm Saturday I got another job at Firth Brown and left Richdales in February 1939 and got 2 shillings a shift there 12 bob a week which increased to 2/6 a shift when i was 15 a few weeks later

I started work at T C Harrisons as an apprentice paint sprayer aged 15, for £6.42 (after NI deductions).

My first weeks wage was £5.00 in 1970 working for Bone Cravens in Darnell, But I had to do a years training at the EITB, I did a 5 year apprentiship as a Production Fitter, and my last wage was £54.60 as I took volantary Redundancy. JP

first wage at firth brown tools £5.50 1971