Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

I think one of the Berni Inns was called the Old Number 12.
Yes, that was the one on Exchange Street (formerly the Market Tavern, Rotherham House etc). Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

Guest makapaka

There’s a very good home video on the sheffield history website which has footage from inside the stonehouse in the early 90s

Yes, that was the one on Exchange Street (formerly the Market Tavern, Rotherham House etc). Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

Clean forgot that name until I was reminded by this picture, I just remembered it as a Berni Inn, thanks Hillsbro.

Went in the Cutlers Hall for a Xmas fayre event about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful building and should be used more often for events that allow ordinary Sheffield folk to attend.

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 16:21 ----------

Which Berni Inn was this? I can recall the one at Norton, Orchard Street and one near the Castle Market.

Thanks abbeyedges, glad to hear it is still used as a Sheffield mainstay and not used in a way that would demean it. fleetwood

Much merryment back in the late 70s whilst in the Stonehouse as the seafood seller and his basket of goodies arrived to shouts of ‘ey up mate got any crabs’!

I first went into the Stonehouse aged 16 with friends to celebrate leaving school. I remember the courtyard and what I believed at the time to be open to the night sky above me. I didn't realise it was the ceiling at the time! But I was very drunk, and my only other memory of that night was being sick behind one of the bandit machines!!!

Stonehouse Pub Memories

Here is another pic of … A Berni Inn. The snap was taken 5 years after the one Mester Hillsbro kindly put on.

Judging by the L-Plates outside the eatery I presume there was a learner-school for motorbike riding nearby.

The mother of a mate of mine – Leonard (Len) Southern worked here late 60s-ealy 70s. Len had a sister called Sonia. They lived on the Hollybank estate, behind the Rex Flicks, in Intek. Len later worked as a Commis waiter at the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield 1970ish.

Ontarian.

Berni Inns had lovely steaks. Unfortunately, there were:

No Bison steaks

No Buffalo steaks

No Caribou steaks fresh from Cariboo

No Moose steaks fresh from Moose Jaw…

All not served with chips and mushy peas. Sorry Sir.

Here is the drinks price list from 1971:

--

Now back on topic…I used to sup in the Stonehouse with a mate called John. He later emigrated to OZ in 1974.

Stonehouse Pub Memories

Here is another pic of … A Berni Inn. The snap was taken 5 years after the one Mester Hillsbro kindly put on.

Judging by the L-Plates outside the eatery I presume there was a learner-school for motorbike riding nearby.

The mother of a mate of mine – Leonard (Len) Southern worked here late 60s-ealy 70s. Len had a sister called Sonia. They lived on the Hollybank estate, behind the Rex Flicks, in Intek. Len later worked as a Commis waiter at the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield 1970ish.

Ontarian.

Berni Inns had lovely steaks. Unfortunately, there were:

No Bison steaks

No Buffalo steaks

No Caribou steaks fresh from Cariboo

No Moose steaks fresh from Moose Jaw…

All not served with chips and mushy peas. Sorry Sir.

Here is the drinks price list from 1971:

--

Now back on topic…I used to sup in the Stonehouse with a mate called John. He later emigrated to OZ in 1974.

No Horse steaks from Thirsk? :P

Just found this video from the 80s inside The Stonehouse

Just found this video from the 80s inside The Stonehouse

It looks a bit like the one posted at #122

lol i didnt go through the whole thread so could be the same