Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Worked at Samantha's at the time. The manager and two of the full time staff spent the day of Halloween walking round Sheffield carrying a coffin taking it in turn to go in the coffin (borrowed from the Co-op). They decided to take a break went into the courtyard of the Stonehouse and while they were having a drink the manager thanked them for there custom but could they take the coffin outside it was putting customers off.

]Hello, I`ve only just seen your comment about Vic and Muriel. working for them was probaly the greatest time of my life , sorry to hear about, so many memories I could write a book

I remember this pub well, even as a child. before the war my father George Sykes was the under manager there, then he went in the army for the war, whilst the war was on the manager was a dutchman called Hoffman, after the war my father returned and took up his old job. The court yard at the back used to be the old stables, and was used for storage, also the cellars was used for keeping barrels of wine, to be bottled and sold at the wine shop White Favel and Cockayne which at that time was part of the stonehouse,and the stonehouse being owned by Duncan Gilmoor, whose offices was in Dixon Lane

I hope this is of interest to you

Wallytof

I remember a Dutch guy ran the place in I think the mid 70's.If my memory serves me right his name was Bill Hoffman.Don't think he ran it for long before leaving to take over The Sportsman at Lodge Moor,

Hi

You might like to read my thread in page 3

Wallytof

I worked there from the mid 70s to Mid 80s the stories that belong to that place during the day and night are astounding now, we had the only pub in the town centre that did a proper lunch , the meat pie was almost as much a legend as Betty's hot pot, Bill Hoffman was the first manager I worked for , we had some gorgeous birds working behind the bar as well as one or two slightly older ladies, in the seventies it was the place where a lot of famous and one or two infamous people came for a quiet drink.

The roof didnt open in the court yard but we did let people beleive so.

Was told the roof opened in summer. Did it?

Pam Danks worked there for a while .What happened to her?

loads of people saw the lights move, trouble is there werent any int roof hic

Garth fell down them stairs more often than most people noticed ' cos he usually did it afore t'pub were oppen

Garth fell down them stairs more often than most people noticed ' cos he usually did it afore t'pub were oppen

I worked in the stonehouse too

I worked in the stonehouse too

what year was that ?