Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

I remember going down town with some friends from work one of whom was about six feet tall and rather large. This would have been late seventies/early eighties. As we were walking past Stonehouse a young lad jumped down from steps in attempt to scare us, my friend just looked at him and said 'your worst nightmare has just come true'. At which point he fled back into the pub.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I remember a Dutch guy ran the place in I think the mid 70's.If my memory serves me right his name was Bill Hoffman.Don't think he ran it for long before leaving to take over The Sportsman at Lodge Moor,

Fabulous photo, Tom! Brings it all back, Im 99% the figure bottom right is me. Four times a week, start Minerva, Museum, Stone house, then work our way up West St. Rough if you were on Sat+Sun. (Grabbers, like me)

What a coincidence! The other day my mother and I were talking about what the area is Orchard Square used to look .... He mentioned the Stonehouse pub as the place where she and my father had his first appointment in the 70's and since then I tried to find a photo outside the bar in the image of Sheffield vain....

Fabulous photo, Tom! Brings it all back, Im 99% the figure bottom right is me. Four times a week, start Minerva, Museum, Stone house, then work our way up West St. Rough if you were on Sat+Sun. (Grabbers, like me)

You mean the one sitting down talking to my wife, who's standing? She has climbed walls trying to remember who you are, she's called Anne and worked for a firm called Hoggett Bowers, who's office was in Bank House on Queen Street.

Great pic.. made me nostalgic. It brought back my memories of the evenings after our hunting trips.

If I remember there ussed to be a nasty step when coming out of the the lounge side past the toilets towards the courtyard. I made the fatal mistake of laughing at my girlfriend who tripped over it whilst holding a tomato juice and wearing a white cheesecloth top. She didn't see my view of a cheese and tomato top.

Hi, just read your comment on here, muriel is my mother inlaw Im married to her son Paul. Muriel passed away five years ago.

Hello, I`ve only just seen your comment about Vic and Muriel. I think I remember Paul. Did he sometimes work behind the bar? Vic and Muriel were a great landlord and landlady. I knew Vic had died, bur I`m so sorry about Muriel. She was a lovely lady who used to look out for us young girlies in the pub

There were rumours that they could open the roof did anyone ever whitness it.

we were there every weekend in the late 60s-early 70`s. Didnt even know they could open the roof!!

I can remember this guy who worked there at the time called Garth he had the biggest WMCA tash you could ever see,one drunken night my mates and me went in there for a drink, there used be a sort of pretend wooden castle built in there with some steps leading up to a room that they used as a store room,garth came down these stairs arms full off bottles and things lost his footing and came flying down the stairs on his backside smash crash tables and chairs split pints and the lot all over the place complete chaos, he seemed to be out cold on the floor eyes up in his head, some one not me honest shot one of them soda water things in his face, then decided to blast every body with it, next thing punches and fists flying a right big fight broke out we hit the back door and ran as the coppers came rushing in truncheons swinging, happy days.