Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Cheers Steptoad- went in Dove and Rainbow other night- that was part of the Stonehouse circuit.

Remember Big Lou on the door? He played for our team, Sharrow Sports, next thing I see him leading out Nigel Benn for the Eubank fight. Right nice bloke for a bouncer.

What I would give for the freshly made Steak Pie, Chips, Peas and Gravy now! I can still remember the large baking trays coming to the counter from the kitchen and the portions having to be cut up, ... Delicious! Why can't simple pub food be as good now? What a stupid thing to do .... changing the interior of the 60's/70's Stonehouse with the Courtyard etc, for something Pathetic!!

I worked for three successive managers in the seventies and eighties and I think it's whole atmosphere was ruined by the changes made in the early eighties when Lou Ward was manager , it was a nightmare of a place to run at any time and never really made any huge profits then but it was a great place to be a customer I am told, the light show in the court yard never worked properly and ruined the effect, still I hope I get to see a new and improved version some day

[that "the longest bar in europe was a myth "

Also the longest gap from when the last reply was posted :hihi:

Always used togo in there on our pub crawl was fab, mostly busy with a good atmosphere. Loved the Saturday afternoon disco

Presume oyu mean the old stonehouse and not the "new look" Stonehouse of just a few years ago which was awful and mostly empty ...

Thanks!

Walking down Church Street the other day for the first time in ages, I notice that the old Stonehouse building is being renovated

It brought back some great memories of the Stonehouse in its heyday - it used to be the place to go in the late 80's before moving on to Cairo Jax

I seem to remember when it first opened, that it reportedly had the longest bar in Europe ?

That end of town used to be a must on a night out - Stonehouse, Gladstones, Wig and Pen, Three Tuns, ...

Anyone else have fond memories?

yea we all used to meet in the stonehouse 2

Great pic, my and my hubby used to go there in the early 70s when we were first married. Vic Atkinson was the landlord there with his wife Muriel. Bouncers were Bob Hodder and Dave (cant remember his surname) I remember some great lock-ins on a Saturday night.

Hi, just read your comment on here, muriel is my mother inlaw Im married to her son Paul. Muriel passed away five years ago.

I remember going in there rather inebriated one night, and looking up to the roof and I'm sure them stars on the roof were moving, did anyone else have that experience in there?:cool:

Edited by Shogun

I remember going in there rather inebriated one night, and looking up to the roof and I'm sure them stars on the roof were moving, did anyone else have that experience in there?:cool:

Many times!!:hihi: