Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Anyone remember the "Knocker Shop" :-)

Wasn't it 'Knobs and Knockers'?

Wasn't it 'Knobs and Knockers'?

It was Ruby but we prefered "Knocking Shop". :hihi:

I have editred this as it occured to me that some none Sheffielders reading this may not know what a Knocking Shop was.

It was a local name for a Brothel.

I can remember my mum being disgusted when I arranged ro meet up with a mate at the stonehouse and saying on the phone, I would meet him outside the knockig shop. It took some explaining.

Edited by Lostrider
Clarification

What a coincidence! Only the other day my mum and I were talking about what the area where Orchard Square is used to look like (I think it was redeveloped before I was born). She mentioned the Stonehouse pub as being the place where she and my dad had their first date in the early 70s and I've since been trying to find a photo of the outside of the pub on Picture Sheffield to no avail. At least I now know what the inside was like. :)

Me and my husband did our courting in the Stone House, we used to go there most Fridays and Saturdays, have a few drinks there, then go across to the Bernie Inn for our Steak Supper. Happy days.

It was Ruby but we prefered "Knocking Shop". :hihi:

I can remember my mum being disgusted when I arranged ro meet up with a mate at the stonehouse and saying on the phone, I would meet him outside the knockig shop. It took some explaining.

lol that's so funny because I can remember looking the window with my two aunties and both of them being very 'huffy' at the name. It did have some very nice knobs (and knockers) though. ;)

Hi there. Here's a 1970's picture of the Courtyard in the Stonehouse.

Stonehouse_Cyard.jpg

This is surreal, the girl standing up in front of the first lamp post is my wife, the guy sitting down to the left of the second lamp post is me. :o

Where can I get a proper copy of this?

Edited by crookesey

This is surreal, the girl standing up in front of the first lamp post is my wife, the guy sitting down to the left of the second lamp post is me. :o

Where can I get a proper copy of this?

WOW! what a coincidence.

Someone posted this a couple of years ago and he emailed me a copy at the time. Can't remember who it was though or whether he actually had the orginal. Maybe you could trawl the archives for the previous posting?

eta: Now I come to think of it, I don't think it was on this site. I'll check my photo file though and see if I still have it.

Edited by natjack
add some info

Beer was pretty crap though, always remember they had double D on draft. used to get the cops in a lot looking for under age drinkers as well. The effect was spoilt a bit in the day time as the roof was black. Went down hill after they closed the courtyard bit.

Ahhh.... Many's the pint I've enjoyed there in convivial company, while I was doing a "security" job a few doors away. I'd better not say where....:wink:

Great pic, same here early 80's first stop around town

for me and my friends:)

Just how I remember it it, but not full of young men in suits :P It'd be the late 70's early 80's when I frequented the Stonehouse and it used to be packed in that courtyard :)

Did guys have to wear a jacket & tie to get in clubs back then?

The Stonehouse was the starting point for us and we wore our suits for the nightclubs (shirts with collars, not jean/trainers rules unless you were off to the limit or rebels) but mainly we were only 17 when we started going out and we thought it made us look older.