Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

My biggest memories of the 'Stonehouse' ?

I worked there and eventually got fired for doing top tier cocktails for a quid for my friends (including a sparkler) :hihi:

I was also working on match day when the Hillsborough Disaster/Tragedy happened.

Loads of fans in pre match, Liverpool and Owls, a great atmosphere. Then we had a call in saying to lockdown the pub anticipate trouble... obviously it wasn't trouble.

A few weeks later the 'pool guys were back with hats on the bar for the guys who had gone to the match but never came out alive... I felt sooooo ****. But helped them by listening and watching them get sloshed and chat about their mates.

Worst bar job I ever had... :|

My biggest memories of the 'Stonehouse' ?

I worked there and eventually got fired for doing top tier cocktails for a quid for my friends (including a sparkler) :hihi:

I was also working on match day when the Hillsborough Disaster/Tragedy happened.

Loads of fans in pre match, Liverpool and Owls, a great atmosphere. Then we had a call in saying to lockdown the pub anticipate trouble... obviously it wasn't trouble.

A few weeks later the 'pool guys were back with hats on the bar for the guys who had gone to the match but never came out alive... I felt sooooo ****. But helped them by listening and watching them get sloshed and chat about their mates.

Worst bar job I ever had... :|

Do you remember Big Pete trev little Jeff all door men

Presume oyu mean the old stonehouse and not the "new look" Stonehouse of just a few years ago which was awful and mostly empty ...

This is true. I went in a few times in the 1990s and it was mostly deserted despite having a rediculously long bar and all the drinks were extremely expensive. It was truly awful. I am not surprised it has been demolished.

I remember the days before the court yard bar. The pub was one narrow room, with a long oak bar, no music and was remniscent of a gentleman's club. The Stonehouse then changed to the courtyard bar and a venue aimed more at the younger crowd

I worked in the Whestone at the time for Tom Walsh and sometimes used to go and do a shift for Jim who was the manager, he later moved on to take the Alma at Mosborough, since retired. He used to have a guy called Alan who was deputy manager if I remember correctly.

Hi there. Here's a 1970's picture of the Courtyard in the Stonehouse.

Stonehouse_Cyard.jpg

Brilliant! What is the story behind this - how did it come to exist?

Maybe it should be recreated somewhere as part of the new redeveloped Sheffield, along with other lost gems and follies.

I remember going in there for the first time in the late 80's and thought i'd gone back out side.:suspect:

I remember the lasers in there. I`d never seen lasers before and when that white smoke stuff came out of the walls and the lasers started firing off... Excellent stuff!

That was about 1980 if I remember rightly.

I remember there being a long crack in the paintwork all along the starry night sky ceiling, sort of ruined the effect a bit.

Great photo, I remember every friday when it was pay day we had meat and tatty pie sat in the courtyard, fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

Hi there. Here's a 1970's picture of the Courtyard in the Stonehouse.

Stonehouse_Cyard.jpg

brill pic brought back memories of fri/sat nights we used to meet up before going on town. most guys were in suits like pic, but did not realise how bad our hair was, mum was right. early 70s.