Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Sandie. Are you talking about the Fleur de Lys at Totley? Used to go there 1963 ish to see Vance Arnold and the Avengers. Fantastic. Oh to be 20 again.

You know who Vance Arnold eventually became dont you? No other than the Great Joe Cocker, Just finished reading his book, and its good.

You know who Vance Arnold eventually became dont you? No other than the Great Joe Cocker, Just finished reading his book, and its good.

Yes mate: went to the same school as him - Lydgate Lane, Crosspool. The book is good.

Hi MikeG

Yes it was that one there also was another pub just down the road the name escapes me. Those 2 were great in the 60's maybe the near local teachers college had an input to their attraction and appeal, and yes those were happy years in our late teens

Sadly the Dutchman, Hoffman a gentleman who was a well known Sheffield figure passed on.

He ran the Stone House for years when it was a pleasure to drink there.

His daughter now runs The Sportman's on Redmires road at Lodge Moor.

Does anyone remember Allan who ran the bar there?

Happy Days!

I think it was Alan who worked for Jim who ran the Stonehouse in the 70's. If I remember correctly he took the Lifeboat Inn in Cleethorpes. I worked in the Whetstone from 1972-76 for Tom and Eileen Walsh, Alan used to do the relief sometimes.

What has happend to the old haunts in the town. In the centre on Friday AND saturday nights in the late 60,s and early 70,s it was the StoneHouse, Dove and Rainbow,Mucky Duck and the Nelson before moving on to the Heartbeat on Queens Road.

yes the DOVE used to be a real 'townie' circuit pub back in the 60's and 70's and early 80's.....how times have changed.......we are now a rock bar with live music.

Dont forget the OLD BLUE BELL round the corner on High street was also a major friday Sat night circuit pub.......bit of a rough house in those days though....

Hi goldenfleece

Yes the Bell was also on the circuit the long bar with only the one way out The front Door, but in those days an excuse me to pass the punters was accpted, before the Stonhouse the Crasy Daiasy was the next stop. The Dove and Rainbow was a place we used to take new birds to as it was the in place, and out of the way. Oh to go back all those years we all had good nights out and no trouble. We would either get the 95 or the 52 to go home or we would go on to the Heartbeat. What Memories

Hi goldenfleece

Yes the Bell was also on the circuit the long bar with only the one way out The front Door, but in those days an excuse me to pass the punters was accpted, before the Stonhouse the Crasy Daiasy was the next stop. The Dove and Rainbow was a place we used to take new birds to as it was the in place, and out of the way. Oh to go back all those years we all had good nights out and no trouble. We would either get the 95 or the 52 to go home or we would go on to the Heartbeat. What Memories

OMG I had my first date with the man I married in the Dove ... perhaps he had some sort of discussion with his mates as one of them was at the bar when we arrived there. This would have been 1977. I had no idea it was a special "first date" pub.

I remember the pictures on the walls, werent they like old blown up newspaper prints? I also liked the juke box.

Hi carcrash,

The Heartbeat was on Queens Road above the Bowling Alley and The Silver Blades. Not sure what it is now

Stonehouse was one of them pubs where you met all your mates before movin on to other pubs in town.

been away in the Army for past 19 years poppedback now and then.Went down town a while back and don't recognise the place,would'nt know where to go for a pint now....any top tips for a good pint and a place without Kn**eads?