Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Guest poppins
Originally posted by carcrash

Yes, just up the road a bit.

Great meeting place before going dancing.

I remember almost 35 years ago my American husband visiting for the first time was taken in for a pint by my brother in law, when people heard his accent they came right up and said, oh ! your an american arn't you, have you evermet John Mcenroe ?

That was dead funny, Nixon was in office then i think, but all they were intersted in was Mc Enroe, he must have been at his best at that time, or at his worst i mean.

Originally posted by poppins

Great meeting place before going dancing.

I remember almost 35 years ago my American husband visiting for the first time was taken in for a pint by my brother in law, when people heard his accent they came right up and said, oh ! your an american arn't you, have you ever me John Mcenroe ?

That was dead funny, Nixon was in office then i think, but all they were intersted in was Mc Enroe, he must have been at his best at that time, or at his worst i mean.

That's a bit like the American's who we met, that asked if we had met Queen Lizzie.

I loved the Stonehouse when it was first done out in the ye olde street style. Does anyone remember Jim who was the landlord, who moved I think to The Alma at Mosborough, or Nick De Nitto who used to be the Horologist in the Stonehouse?

The Mists of Time

Might have been someone else or not as long ago as that.

John McEnroe would have been 11 years old in 1970.

Edit: Sorry, I see you did say "almost 35 years ago"

Guest poppins
Originally posted by cgksheff

The Mists of Time

Might have been someone else or not as long ago as that.

John McEnroe would have been 11 years old in 1970.

Edit: Sorry, I see you did say "almost 35 years ago"

Yes i could be a bit off on the years, it just seems that long ago.

Guest poppins

Also a great pub lunch was the Peacock in Stannington, my mom use to live in manor house next door, so we didn't have far to walk, great fire place too.

Hi. I used to work at The Stonehouse in the mid to late 80's and have fond memories of it. I've got a postcard that shows the courtyard in all its 70's glory, streetlamps, stocks and some dodgy looking 70's students. If you'd like a scan of it then please contact me.

Regarding pic of courtyard, I'm not able to PM anyone or upload image so if you want to provide e-mail I'll happily oblige.

What has happend to the old haunts in the town. In the centre on Friday AND saturday nights in the late 60,s and early 70,s it was the StoneHouse, Dove and Rainbow,Mucky Duck and the Nelson before moving on to the Heartbeat on Queens Road.

During the week it was either the Old Arrow or the Olive Grove, and as we then had our own transport it was either Fox House or the Granby at Bamford, not forgeting the Fleur De Leys.

Who can remember

Used to go to the Heartbeat mid week when it was mostly 5th formers (silly girls). Later used to go in the Stone House for lunch (great curry and rice) didn't go there at night. When we did go in town used to be Wapentake and Buccaneer. Were regulars at Old Harrow and Centre Spot (and survived to tell the tale). Also went to Granby in Bamford they used to have a great disco.

Sadly the Dutchman, Hoffman a gentleman who was a well known Sheffield figure passed on.

He ran the Stone House for years when it was a pleasure to drink there.

His daughter now runs The Sportman's on Redmires road at Lodge Moor.

Does anyone remember Allan who ran the bar there?

Happy Days!

I got engaged in The StoneHouse, in the courtyard bit

April 1st, 1978

30th anniversary next year

What has happend to the old haunts in the town. In the centre on Friday AND saturday nights in the late 60,s and early 70,s it was the StoneHouse, Dove and Rainbow,Mucky Duck and the Nelson before moving on to the Heartbeat on Queens Road.

During the week it was either the Old Arrow or the Olive Grove, and as we then had our own transport it was either Fox House or the Granby at Bamford, not forgeting the Fleur De Leys.

Who can remember

Good old days at the Marquis - Sheffielders in one corner, Chesterfielders in another corner, and the valley lads waiting to pounce!!!!