Be careful not to drive in bus lanes - Police handing out tickets

There is the same problem up Mansfield Road past thr Fire Station at Manor Top. It is a disgrase to see it happening. This has been going on for years now and from what I can see the Police turn a blind eye to it happening. I would gladly go and stand there handing out fines for free if only they would give me a uniform and authority to do it, I could make hundreds of pounds per day in fines and so reduce the money the police claim from our Council Tax payments.

You crafty little Munky!And here's me thinking you meant in a car.I use them when on the bike,but am never sure on Western Bank wether you should stay in the bus lane and use the bus gate,or try to cut back into the other lane.to by-pass it.If you stay in it,you run the risk of being held on the red light until a bus comes up behind you.

As a matter of interest.do you think it's OK to use the bus lane(in a car)during the bus strikes?

If the sign denoting the times of the bus lane has a cycle taxi and bus symbol (but no motorcycle) then don't use 'em. I blindly believed that where-ever buses go, I can go aswell (cos some tool had said on here that "All sheffield bus lanes can now be used by motorcycles" when infact yer can't unless the motorcycle logo is present) and found this wasn't true when heading across the city center, past maplin and a pig on a pony wanted a word and to dish me points and some fine for the privelidge.

As fer using bus lanes during the current strick, yeah, I'd say if all bus companies we're striking then it'd be fair to use them (although taxi drivers and some cyclists may get mardy and say otherwise, however these are not main methods of transport for the majority of people), however as it's just first drivers striking, I'd say no, it ain't fair for everyone to use bus lanes in this instance.

Edited by munky

The bus lane on Western Bank does allow motorcycles,but do you use the bus gate or not?

The bus lane on Western Bank does allow motorcycles,but do you use the bus gate or not?

I wouldn't use the bus gate as that's what I earned my points and fine for. Although it wasn't that one specifically, the plod officer was more than happy to point out that some bus lanes are marked with a motorcycle symbol and I'm more than welcome to use these, however most bus gates are specifically not to be used by motorcycles and scooters.

Although I've just google street mapped western bank sheffield and if your on about the bus gate going down the hill towards the deadly round about, there is a sign with the motorcycle symbol indicating we're allowed, but I still probably wouldn't (once burnt and all that gubbins).

Surely you can. Is it a "bus gate" or just a bit more "bus lane"? Surely a bus lane sign which allows m/cycles so close to the island, and about 20 ft before the end of the bus lane must still be a "lane" and not a "gate"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.381559,-1.486877&spn=0,359.994341&t=h&z=18&iwloc=9045693947102907833&layer=c&cbll=53.381598,-1.486754&panoid=kP6L0fKdJjoEE2Vk2iGM3w&cbp=12,48.51,,2,2.1

May be some drivers should read there highway code ,why dont they look at the signs on the side of the road wich tell them what time it's a bus lane . instead they see the big white line and think MY GOD IT,S A BUS LANE.They then move over to centre of road cutting the road in half ,which means less road more queuing traffic, come on you drivers keep your EYES OPEN.

Yesterday there were police officers standing on the side of eccelsal road as you approach city centre giving tickets for driving in the bus lane. Careful!

I drive on abbeydale road and it annoys me how other use the bus lane driving past all the ques of traffic, I hope the police start monitoring here as well.

erm bus lane. for buses. erm not cars:rant:

It does not have to be the police. I was on a bus one day and the driver noted the number of a couple of vehicles driving in the bus lane. At the next stop he radioed the information in to the depot.

In London the buses have bus lane cameras and many drivers are captured in this way.

I am always surprised at how many people in Yorkshire drive in bus lanes. Used to see it all the time in Huddersfield when I was working there last year.

Although I find it strange that there are 24 hour bus lanes but no 24 hour bus services. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What annoys me are the drivers and pedestrians (I'll come to this in a bit) who take no notice of the times bus lanes can or cannot be used. Chesterfield road (below the Woodseats end) is a good example. In off times I drive in the bus lane as when sticking to the speed limit I get impatient drivers up my <removed>, and because I use this road frequently I know how many times the police sit in their radar vans, and catch these "impatient drivers."

Having said that, a few weeks ago I was coming down in the bus lane (2.30pm monday) when a couple, waiting to cross were stood in the middle of the bl, I slowed down to let them go, being the courteous person I am lol and the woman let fly at me calling me for being there, I was entitled to be there you stupid woman, obviously doesn't drive or would know it's only peak times the bus lane is in operation.

So drive in the bus lanes when allowed, makes the traffic flow better, but to do this read the signs, as the drivers on Attercliffe road obviously don't as many drive in that one when it's in operation at all times. Ahhhhh finished

Edited by HotPhil
bad language

What gets me is that you can't get some folk out of the bus lanes when they are restricted, conversely you can't get them to use them when they are not restricted. I wish that I had a fiver for every time I have recieved the <removed> sign for driving in a bus lane on a weekend. :loopy:

Edited by HotPhil
bad language

Wish I'd put mine so succinctly Crookesey :hihi:

Wish I'd put mine so succinctly Crookesey :hihi:

I have always had a way with words. ;)