Should life mean life?

SHOULD LIFE MEAN LIFE?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD LIFE MEAN LIFE?

Murder crimes are on the decline in the last 7 years.(2008-15)

---------- Post added 04-10-2017 at 20:55 ----------

imo no

He has wiped two decent people off the face of the earth, can you imagine how the rest of the family would feel if they happened to meet him in the street? e.g. shopping - like that Tracey Andrews was doing when she was let out temporarily:mad:

If the circumstances are serious enough, a ‘whole life order’ is imposed by a judge, he obviously didn't think it warranted a whole life sentence.

You can ask for someone’s Crown Court sentence to be reviewed if you think it’s too low.

I wont take you long, anyone can do it.

https://www.gov.uk/ask-crown-court-sentence-review

Good post.

To answer the OP, it varies on a case by case basis.

The idea that someone like Ted Bundy could be rehabilitated back to normalcy seems wishful thinking though.

Well it worked,Bundy never killed again.

The ex homeless piece of dirt Aaron Barly who murdered the people who tried to help him has been given life but must serve a minimum of 30 years,should he have a chance of walking our streets again.

The death penalty, for all its failings, meant the convicted murderer never committed another.

Prison is there to keep the crooks locked up away from the general public,it always has been. There is efforts on rehabilitation but they are not working.The death penalty didn't work either,murders still happened and think of the innocent that were hung.In the case of the op I wouldn't protest if he was never released.

No, life shouldn't mean life unless there are exceptional circumstances.

There is efforts on rehabilitation but they are not working.

Does the UK have rehabilitation, I cant say I have heard about it in the news.

Like the views of some on here, they want to just lock them up. There is an appeal system for punishments that are too light, but not for the lack of rehabilitation.

No, life shouldn't mean life unless there are exceptional circumstances.

With your infatuation on violence wouldn't you like to see them let loose to run amok.

With your infatuation on violence wouldn't you like to see them let loose to run amok.

No, but I understand that the great majority of murderers only do it once and I'm a great believer in the possibility of rehabilitaion, redemption and people's ability to change.

(By the way, you should say 'with violence' rather than 'on violence' - and I'm not 'infatuated' with violence; it's something I abhor, but find fascinating.)

Edited by Halibut

The ex homeless piece of dirt Aaron Barly who murdered the people who tried to help him has been given life but must serve a minimum of 30 years,should he have a chance of walking our streets again.

Quite simply ukdobby in cases such as this yes it should. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a whole life tarif. Not sure if that should be done by sentencing Judge or by Home Secretary afterwards ?

What it does and what it should achieve is safety for the public, if that means full life that should be the sentence.

You think that is the only point of incarceration?

---------- Post added 05-10-2017 at 08:14 ----------

The death penalty, for all its failings, meant the convicted murderer never committed another.

It also meant that the state murdered innocent people sometimes.

No, but I understand that the great majority of murderers only do it once and I'm a great believer in the possibility of rehabilitaion, redemption and people's ability to change.

(By the way, you should say 'with violence' rather than 'on violence' - and I'm not 'infatuated' with violence; it's something I abhor, but find fascinating.)

Actually I think uk dobby’s question was well targeted.

In “ another” thread you describe a scenario where you allowed a relatively minor social infringement to so anger you that you attacked another child,a younger one at that, and had to be restrained. You then ruminated on the matter getting angrier and angrier, sought out the individual and assaulted him. Premeditation.

Personally for incidents that you were involved in such as that I would consider prosecution.

It seems that violence among school children is just passively accepted.

---------- Post added 05-10-2017 at 07:26 ----------

The case that uk dobby referred to murdered two people,one of them a child, killed a female and attempted to murder a third person.He has since callously disregarded the gravity of his actions, lack of empathy.

It isn’t a case of a drunken assault leading to a death in a fight. False equivalency.

There is a question of future risk on release, previous offending history.

Plus there has to be an element of punishment.in such cases as this that should mean life imprisonment

You think that is the only point of incarceration?

---------- Post added 05-10-2017 at 08:14 ----------

It also meant that the state murdered innocent people sometimes.

1 it should be.

2 so do murderers, at least those murdered by the state have had a trial.