Badders Bakers Recipes

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd start a thread for folk to post their scrummy cake recipes!

Thank you for indulging me in my obsession! I will miss Tuesday nights with you all - thanks for the T-shirt too!!

The Quine (quine: girl)

xx :wave:

Example usage: "Hud on you! Are ye a loon or a quine?"

Translation: "Wait a moment you! Are you a boy or a girl?"

To kick things off the recipe for my courgette cake can be found at:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5959/lemon-courgette-cake.aspx

Ingredients

200g (7 oz) grated courgette

150g (5 oz) caster sugar

1 egg

125ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil

200g (7 oz) plain flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons lemon zest

Preparation method

1) Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin.

2) In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg and oil. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.

3) Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

mmm cake :hihi:

sorry i cant share my cake recipes they are made with love and magic :P

you cant be going forever and ever you will be back

if only for Rich's magic love cake.

Here's my top-secret recipe:

Parsnip & Fig Cake

5oz butter (or 4fl oz oil & some water or milk)

2 eggs

5 oz brown sugar

10oz wholemeal self-raising flour

2 tsp Mixed spice (I used some nutmeg & coriander)

6oz raisins

6oz dried figs

8oz parsnips

Mix butter & sugar together (with a fork?); add the eggs; mix. Leave to one side.

In another bowl sift the flour and spice, add the bran left in the sieve. Remove the tops of the stalks from the figs, chop them finely & add to the flour along with the raisins - mix so that the fruit is well covered with flour so less likely to sink when the cake is baked. Now add the butter/sugar/eggs mixture - and mix. Takes a while but you end up with a fairly stiff mixture. Now add the grated parsnip and mix.

Put the mixture in a cake tin (recipe suggests an 8 inch one, I used 2 x 7 inch), bake in the centre of the oven @ 180C / gas mark 4 for about an hour or until a skewer or sharp knife stuck through the cake comes out clean.

Let the cake cool down then brush with warmed apricot jam; put icing on top (made with 6oz icing sugar + lemon juice; about half a lemon was enough). Don't make the icing runny or it'll just dribble down the sides of the cake.

Enjoy... (this is my adaptation of a recipe in the London Cafe Book Vol. 2 which is a fabulous cookbook; I'll bring a few photocopies of this recipe tonight since it's nicer on paper). The book recipe suggests decorating with kiwi or strawberry & serving with cream, maybe dust with cinnamon (not sure about the cream or cinnamon myself).

Edited by AndrewR