Are you made to feel like an outcast in the foreign country you live in?

My work involves trying to get Sheffield youth to take jobs, rather than believing they will marry a footballer, or win X Factor... It's a never ending slog, but you are quite right that it is a slog that requires UK people, as there are enough barriers with a language barrier as well...

I'm the only one of my family and friends to work in such a role though - everyone I know does something different, and noone has lost work to foreign labour... I guess if you can't compete, it's time to move into another line of work? This isn't the first type of work I have done, I have done loads and loads of different things over the years, just keep retraining...

Retraining eh! well building trade knows all about retraining as every other industry that's gone to the wall in the last 25 years has decided to retrain there workers to be Bricklayers , Joiners, Plumbers, Plasterers etc.

This retraining usualy involved a six months course at a local technical college at the end of which our budding brickies etc turned up on some building site with a new set of tools and shiny boots a few then bluffed there way through but the majority couldn't lay in bed.

The proper tradesmen who had spent up to seven years as apprentices on low wages spotted these trainee,s straight away and understandably resented them so just another example of the building trade taking the brunt of do gooders in retraining centres.

Why has this degenerated into complaints about foreign workers taking Sheffield workers' jobs? That's not what the thread was supposed to be about.

:huh:

Thank you! That is not the reason I started the thread at all.:o:o

What about the French sect re have heard disturbing things from Canadians i have met in the past!

I think you mean the French set, Cuttsie? A sect is a religious offshoot. Anyhow, I get along fine with them. Quebec City is one of the nicest places to visit. Can't say I've ever lived in la belle province though.

The Quebecois do things differently from English Canada though and sometimes I'm glad of it. Like in the last federal election, they all decided to vote NDP ( = British Labor party), insuring that our ultra right wing Conservative government at least has some decent opposition. One candidate never bothered to show up in the riding that she contested, doesn't even live there, and was on holiday in Los Vegas. They voted her in. :hihi:

Why has this degenerated into complaints about foreign workers taking Sheffield workers' jobs? That's not what the thread was supposed to be about.

:huh:

Rog the thread is called are you made to feel an outcast in the fori----

And what certain people are trying to point out is why this situation comes about i don't suppose the same problem arise in the nice little office environments but in countries were migration has ALWAYS! affected the local manual workers most of all the problems always arise when the work slacks of and to many poorly paid workers are chasing the same jobs it happened in America and Germany in the thirties and it is happening now in the more established country,s of this stupid European Union.

Edited by cuttsie
grammmmeer

I think you mean the French set, Cuttsie? A sect is a religious offshoot. Anyhow, I get along fine with them. Quebec City is one of the nicest places to visit. Can't say I've ever lived in la belle province though.

The Quebecois do things differently from English Canada though and sometimes I'm glad of it. Like in the last federal election, they all decided to vote NDP ( = British Labor party), insuring that our ultra right wing Conservative government at least has some decent opposition. One candidate never bothered to show up in the riding that she contested, doesn't even live there, and was on holiday in Los Vegas. They voted her in. :hihi:

I did mean the French sections of Canada Rog .being a nosy bugger when i meat up with any Foreigners i always like to ask them about there homeland and one or two Canadian people i have met have not spoken positively as to the French parts of Canada'

I feel an outcast in my OWN country.

My work involves trying to get Sheffield youth to take jobs, rather than believing they will marry a footballer, or win X Factor... It's a never ending slog, but you are quite right that it is a slog that requires UK people, as there are enough barriers with a language barrier as well...

I'm the only one of my family and friends to work in such a role though - everyone I know does something different, and noone has lost work to foreign labour... I guess if you can't compete, it's time to move into another line of work? This isn't the first type of work I have done, I have done loads and loads of different things over the years, just keep retraining...

before u start on the racist issue my granddad came over in the 30s from jamaica. I myself have worked in germany, spain, northern ireland and all over england. the point im trying to make is how many of these poor foreign would be employed if the employer had to give them the going rate for a tradesman Im sure your dad wouldn't work as a joiner for £6 an hour. as for retraining i am a bricklayer also a mechanical fitter and fire proofer

I think the UK is doing pretty well considering the density of population and diverse cultures, the whole world is slowly but surely moving towards global multiculturalism whether we like it or not, so racism will eventually die out, it's inevitable really so we may as well get used to it, better to embrace it I think.

If only racism would 'die out', and sexism too, I don't think it will not in my life span. If only!

We moved to Australia 37 years ago and have always felt welcome- comments on my accent aside lol.

Funny, a lot of people in Emmet, Idaho ask me if I'm Australian!

I feel an outcast in my OWN country.

I assume you stink and have a personality a German would find harsh. :)