Would a nice god allow bad things to happen?

Oh dear, there you go again Graham, getting things wrong. I never said that Christians need to be comforted. I said that 'people find comfort in religion' which apparently you are not offended by as it was my opinion. YOU brought Christianity into this debate, I didn't mention it.

So to sum up, you are offended by things that no one actually said!

You said THIS:

Totally agree. Just an elaborate story created to keep people in line way back in the days before we had such wonderful scientific discoveries to prove otherwise. Just like Santa I suppose but far less fun! My grandparents were extremely religious so I can understand why people like the comfort of religion and the thought of an afterlife in heaven etc, however common sense tells me otherwise.

When I read it again the whole thing is offensive to a large group of people.

You said THIS:

So it's agreed that I didn't say that Christians need to be comforted and so far Grahame, only you have chosen to take offence by my opinion. I could be offended that you hold the opinion that I have offended a large group of people couldn't I as that's quite possibly slander. But don't worry, i'm not, i don't take offence to opinions as we all have them.

So it's agreed that I didn't say that Christians need to be comforted and so far Grahame, only you have chosen to take offence by my opinion. I could be offended that you hold the opinion that I have offended a large group of people couldn't I as that's quite possibly slander. But don't worry, i'm not, i don't take offence to opinions as we all have them.

Totally insulting. And it was intended to be.

You are GOD or you are the DEVIL. It's up to you to decide which one. That's all you need to know about religion.

In order for the thread to remain open, please be civil to each other and stick to discussing the thread's topic.

Thanks.

You said THIS:

Totally insulting. And it was intended to be.

So now you know my intentions as well now? To take such offence by my opinions, I'm thinking that you are either:

a) A little insecure about your belief (i'm sure you've come across that old Athiest chestnut before eh?

b) THE most easily offended person I have ever encounted or

c) Pulling my leg and you are really Athiest too

:confused:

Its all about hope and doubt and justice. if someone evil dies they become the praying mantis having his head bit off. If evil happens to you do you become evil and seek revenge or like jesus said ,forgive them.

One thing most people forget is its better to be alive and suffer than not to be alive at all.

God made this universe perfect and god knows what god is doing.

Did god make the universe? That's quite a claim. To claim god created everything in the universe is utterly ridiculous. It's massive. More massive than you can imagine. Life just happens. It starts and evolves from the most miniscule of chemical existence. You could see this as miracle or you could just view it as an inevitable chemical reaction that would happen anywhere in the universe providing the right conditions along with explainable physics.

The more i read into science the more ridiculous god seems. Life doesn't need god, only some life needs god.

I am currently reading "The Universe" [a biography] by John Gribbin. It is a wonderful insight into the theory of the universe. There is some clear and understandable chapters on quantum physics. If you bother to read more than the stories in the bible and challenge yourself with such books, a whole new world will unfold in front of your very eyes. A world where everything makes sense-a world much older and wiser world than the religious scripture many choose to believe in. Our planet, our solar system, our universe doesn't need god, only physical and biological conditions. Darwin is universal, god simply isn't.

A God wouldn't "allow" all those things to happen because there IS no God. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to think there's an almighty being looking down on the earth.

Anyway. Question answered!

You are GOD or you are the DEVIL. It's up to you to decide which one. That's all you need to know about religion.

Is it? So which is which? Does god condone parasitical wasps that paralyse their pray and plant eggs inside their living victim allowing their eggs to eat the creature [alive] from the inside? Is that god or the devil? Because there is beauty and evil all rolled into one with that.

God is a human delusion. A mental illness. Not apparent in animals without thought and none existent until thought of man.

You opinion does not offend me but I was insulted by the fact you said Christians need to be comforted. Christians are no different from anyone else and in fact you need to be stronger than most if you are going to be a Christian.

and in fact you need to be stronger than most if you are going to be a Christian.

Why would you say that? You are in an apparent majority throughout the world. A christian knows nothing about strength, they have always fought to ram their nonsensical beliefs down the throat of anyone, whether the agreed or not. A christian playing the suppressed card is frankly ridiculous. Your belief system is responsible for more deaths than any other man made object or though ever to have graced the human mind. Thank "sense" that we saw the light and stopped listening to bigoted nonsense that christians spout!

Get a grip. Read books. Stop being so naive!

A dog will always be a dog , it will never change into a cat. Same for bacteria and virus's...

You absolute cretin of a human. You are from an unbroken line of evolution dating back over three and a half thousand million years and the best reply you can spout is that of a 3 year old child!

Read about evolution before making RIDICULOUS comments!! Fumes!!!:mad:

So you're an atheist. What else is new?

Nothing. Why?