Proud "owner" of an allotment.

just got an allotment meself ... meersbrook, someone told me that ours are a 1/4 of an acre? ... pretty big as the average in blighty is 1/6th or so i've read. been on the waiting list for around 2 years, and believe the list is growing by the day, which is pretty annoying when you see the amount of vacant and derelict plots there are. the council should be forced to sort it quicker.

sorting a derelict plot is a massive undertaking, bit daunted by it ... so not setting my sights too high at the moment ... one bed at a time, and looking to get at least half the plot under control by summer ... fingers crossed.

going to take mc55's comment on board and try and get a bed sorted soon as and get some garlic and onions in soon as.

manure on order.

Welcome to Meersbrook allotments Hisknibs. Hope you enjoy working your plot. There is a shop on site, green portacabin next to the main gate of Meersbrook Road. Currently open 10-11 Thursday and Sunday. You can get a subsidized seed catalogue from the shop. If you want to order any seeds you'll need to get your order in by Jan. Go and talk to Pete (shop manager). There is a £3 (ish) fee to join for the year and it is open to non-allotment holders too. The catalogue also stocks an increasing range of organic seeds.

I'm down by Rose Cottage in the bottom corner (heavy soil and pigeon heaven) but out of the wind a bit. There is also an allotment society meeting on the first Sunday of every month starting at about 11.15 (we meet next to the shop). Once you're settled in pop along for a chat.

Kevin

just got an allotment meself ... meersbrook, someone told me that ours are a 1/4 of an acre? ... pretty big as the average in blighty is 1/6th or so i've read. been on the waiting list for around 2 years, and believe the list is growing by the day, which is pretty annoying when you see the amount of vacant and derelict plots there are. the council should be forced to sort it quicker.

sorting a derelict plot is a massive undertaking, bit daunted by it ... so not setting my sights too high at the moment ... one bed at a time, and looking to get at least half the plot under control by summer ... fingers crossed.

going to take mc55's comment on board and try and get a bed sorted soon as and get some garlic and onions in soon as.

manure on order.