Can Anyone Remember Handsworth Coal Mine

Send me your address in private message and i will send you photo dont need any money does hank still live at side of pub on wybourn:thumbsup:

I worked there 1960 to 64. Handsworth colliery was unusual in that all the coal came out on conveyor belt via a drift whilst the miners and coalface supplies went down a mineshaft in the pit yard. Further down the valley was the High Hazels colliery which was adrift mine and both were High Hazels and Handsworth run as one unit under the same manager a Mr. Werhle. If anyone is interested I can supply mine details and even the names of the pit ponies who delivered the coalface supplies. Firemanphil

Hi lived in finchwell all my life can remember ponies coming out of pit every so often which mine are you talk,ing about with the details is it Handsworth have you got any photos of the pit while in operation many thanks

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 20:54 ----------

Hi can you suppl the inforemation about handsworth pit for me

Photos of Handsworth Pit can be found on PICTURE SHEFFIELD the Sheffield Libraries website. Whilst I was there the ponies were named Clem, Sam, Prince, Major, Fox and Bill. They lived underground in stables in the Haig Moor seam pit bottom. In a disused seam - Silkstone seam - that was further down the shaft were Boxer and Ned. The Silkstone was exhausted in the 1950 and Boxer and Ned were used reclaiming old machinery and scrap roof supports. They were well all looked after - its warm down below - and well fed but only came up for reshoeing or when the pit closed for holidays. The Haig Moor horses took supplies to the coal face on trucks and tubs. They did not pull coal tubs as all the coal came to the surface on conveyor belts via a drift further down the valley. This unusual arrangement was the reason that Handsworth retained its horses long after they had been replaced by machinery in other pits.

My dad worked at Handsworth Colliery from being 14 years old which was 1925. He was on the last shift there which was 1967. He then went to Orgreave until he retired in 1975 due to ill health. 

On 09/03/2014 at 20:54, davep75 said:

I started at handsworth nunnery on my 15th birthday 1st jan 1951 tommy walker had a serious accident almost losing his leg but eventually got back to work. My best mate was Eric Richardson who went on to be a group engineer

My dad was there then Tom Owen

Hi there

I'm trying to trace my family in Sheffield, and saw a post on here by Keelbec. I am your dad's older brother's granddaughter, if that makes sense?! My grandfather was Arthur Shaw . Here's the original post in 2009, so it's a longshot that you're still on this site?

My Granddad Robert Levesley died from a pit accident in 1917, 14 May, at 'Nunnery Colliery, Sheffield'