Perogies and where to buy them..

I recently moved to Sheffield from Canada - I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase some perogies/pyrogis? I haven't talked to one person here yet who know what they even were, but there must be someone out there in this city of half a million people who at least knows what I'm referring to...!

Thanks!

These things?

I do vaguely recall having spotted a Polish-food grocer's somewhere in Sheffield, but for the life of me I don't know where it was. Hopefully someone might know where Polish food is available, even if they have never heard of pierogis.

Flipping lovely, you can put potato or cheese in the middle then when they're cooked the cheese goes all lovely and melty, mmm.

Never heard of them, but I googled it and there's a recipe. I'm sure you have done that yourself, but for anyone else who might be interested: -

There is no really quick recipe for Pierogies. They are a long progress.

The fillings is

potatoes (about 8)

dry cottage cheese

small onion

salt/pepper to taste

Mint (optional but good)

Outside:

2 c. flour

1 egg

tabl oil

water (enough to make dough)

While potatoes are boiling until very tender, mix up dough. Let set 1/2 hour. Roll out dough and cut into circles. I use a doughnut cutter. Put filling in and fold in half. Like a moon. Seal with water. Boil for 3 - 5 min. I like around the 5 min mark. Then, if you like traditional way, dip in onion butter mixture. But I like to fry them until they get a bit crunchy.

Yes! Sorry, there's so many spellings for them... We used to have them all the time growing up, and if we were lucky mom and grandma would make a huge batch and we'd have homemade perogies for a while... I would really, really love to find some frozen... restaurants never prepare them the way my mom does, which I think is the best way (naturally! :D)

There's a pretty big Polish community in Burngreave and Pitsmoor. Ozmen on Spital Hill sells a lot of Polish food (even though it's a Turkish-owned shop), and again confusingly, so do Nile Markets on Barnsley Road (near Firshill School).

There's also a deli on Langsett Rd opposite Tesco's carpark they might do what you're looking for.

Labour sells peerages if thats what you meant :hihi:

Kabanos chopped up in onion soup is pretty flipping groovy as well.

Do you mean pereguine falcons? Pluck them first before you batter them I find (Don't let the RSPB know though as they'll all want one) Gotta go as my dodo burger is overheating- glad to have been of assistance

Kabanos chopped up in onion soup is pretty flipping groovy as well.

It says Tescos now sell Perogies?:)