Vehicle breakdown/recovery services. Are you a member?

I have recently had a renewal for my RAC membership.

I question whether or not I really need such cover as I only use my car locally though sometimes (when kids off school and hubby working) I travel further afield for days out.

I have the most basic cover so that I would at least be taken to a garage for repairs if I couldn't be dealt with at the roadside.

This is now £55 which I would have paid unquestioningly had I not noticed in the conditions that instead of being taken to the garage of my choice, I would now only be taken to a garage within 10 miles. This raises all sorts of issues if I was many miles from home.

I feel somewhat peeved that I have only ever called them out twice in 24 years and the price for me is £55 while if was joining as a new member the cost would be £39.

Should I upgrade to a higher level, even though I only do about 100 miles a week in total? Should I shop around? Anybody recommend a company?

I'm in the AA. It's £70 odd quid for me and my girlfriend on the basic option. I think this covers us to call them out and if they can't fix it, then tow us the the nearest approved garage. I know what you mean about being 100s of miles away but at least in the event you do have someone to call to get you out of the rain and off the motorway. I was in the RAC a few years ago and my bike broke down. I called them out and though a very quick response a realy grumpy old man came and his first words were "Oh I ******* hate bikes, never had any real training on em" Quick to say I was on the phone to the AA the day after. Used AA once (on a different bike) and he was very polite very proffesional and he even took my little bro, who i had pillion home in the van before he had a go at the bike. got it working and even followed me for a few miles just incase.

I am with Brittania, they always offer a good service.

We have the second from top option, which is tow you home at your request and also covers Ireland. It is for myself and the boyfriend and covers the car not the person. That is £95 I think.

Well worth it, as we have used it 3 times in 4/5 years and I dread to think how much hiring a recovery service would had cost.

i am with green flag we once broke down on the m180 going to cleethorpes (cambelt snapped) only to find out we had only the basic cover 5mile tow lukcly my mate could tow us home needless to say we now have full cover you never know when you will need them specially if you break dow on the motoway god forbid i asked the bloke how much it would cost for a tow from scunthorpe back to home adress and he said it would be about £200 so if i was in your shoes get the full cover i know its like paying through the nose but its worth it if you only claim once best regards steve....:cool:

I'm with the AA and have had to call them out twice.

The first time was on my way home from Cambridgeshire. Somthing had broken in my car, (can't remember what) and the AA man came to rescue me. He said that he should tow me to a garage, and I might have to find accomodation for the night (as it was quite late). However, he then decided he could tow me to Halfords, where I bought the part (for about £10) which he fitted on their car park. I was on my way back to Sheffield, and he followed me a few miles to make sure all was well. I was very grateful for his help as obviously finding accomodation for the night would have been expensive and I would have lost a day's pay from work too.

The second time I broke down was in Sheffield, near to a scrap yard. Again a part was broken. The AA man suggested buying a part from the scrapyard, which he fitted. Again saving me money and inconvenience.

As I've had such good service both times, I don't hesitate to pay my membership fee.

I'm with the AA. Personally I can say they have been exceptional on more than one occasion.

Picture this, I had to pick up my brother in law from Manchester airport on new years day. It was around 10pm on the M62 when the wipers packed in.

Now, I called the AA, who asked if there were children with me.

I said yes, my two kids were with me.

I couldn't believe how fast they responded. As it was new years day...

Anyway, they towed us off the hard shoulder and as he couldn't fix the problem there, we were towed home.

Strangely, the kids were loving it..???

Ps I arranged for someone else to pick up my bro-in-law.

i am with the rac and have called them out 3 times in a year! (i now have a new car) one problem was the battery connection had broken and they fixed that and also told me i had a serious oil leak! 2nd time my altanator belt had snapped and he droveme to halfords for the part and fitted it saving me loads on labour at a garage. 3rd time my wheel had seized and they came and loosened it and fixed the problem. every call out was within an hour and i only have the basic :D:clap:

Dad's car is with Greenflag, but touch wood, we haven't had to call them out, so I can hardly comment upon their service.

:)

I was with the AA for many years and on the few occasions I used them had excellent service.

My problem was the membership fee which jumped considerably each year ( last year over 20% increase ).

I decided, rightly or wrongly, that the fee included many services that I personally didn't use - eg insurance, hotel reservations etc that I found cheaper elsewhere anyway so changed to Green Flag.

Touch wood, I've not had to use them yet so am hoping it wasn't the wrong decision, and after reading steevie/d's post will double check my cover. ;)

One point to mention is that the AA cover the person not the car which could work out better if you've the use of more than one car. Either that or when you do go on longer journeys take a passenger who's an AA member. :heyhey:

Well I've decided to renew at the basic level.

I'm still annoyed though that a newcomer gets the same cover nearly £20 cheaper than an existing member :rant:

Originally posted by Mo

Well I've decided to renew at the basic level.

I'm still annoyed though that a newcomer gets the same cover nearly £20 cheaper than an existing member :rant:

you recognise that it's cheaper not to renew but you've done it anyway?

I always phone them, tell them i'm not renewing, and then join again on the website. Although this year i've gone with the AA as it worked out cheaper for the joint option.

Originally posted by Cyclone

you recognise that it's cheaper not to renew but you've done it anyway?

I strongly suspect that there will be a clause preventing you from opting out and rejoining within a specific period of time.