Edgar Street, Pitsmoor, 1950s

Hi Brooklynex, So where did the Demicritus bit come in then, its a grand sounding name though innit ?

Hi Brooklynex, So where did the Demicritus bit come in then, its a grand sounding name though innit ?

Don't know bart dat! maybe he was part Greek. Good job he wasn't a young kid running around Pitsmoor with a name like that!

My dad used to call him Sam anyway!

Hi, Floater,

Yeah, In remember Geoff Lavill, we all used to knock around together, a mate Rodger Pearson used to live just higher up the road from Geoff near the small shop by the chapel, pass my regards on to Geoff when you see him, my name is Ian as for the names of people on thorndon road, afraid I can only recall my aunt and uncle , Alice & Harold wright, they had two sons Harold & Barry. Ciao Ian

Hi, I'm Geoffs sister, Janet. Sadly Geoff passed away a few years ago, only 59 yrs old. I knew Mr. & Mrs. Wright and can recall their son Barry. Few years older than me tho. He fancied my older sister Von, sadly also not with us now.

I also recall Roger Pearson. What is your surname? Maybe I can recall you too.

Hi Janet,

Sorry about Geoff, would have liked to catch up with him after so long , pity that, anyway my surname is Moffatt, I only knew (vaugely) he had a sister but the age we must have been it was more a case of 'lads together' girls ? fraid they came mutch later.

Thanks for the return Janet, always nice to get a follow up on contacts

Ciao, Ian

Hi pugwash,

I'm IAN I was born in 1945 and we lived at 59 Edgar St, I used to go to All Saints School and was in the Boys Brigade at Petre St church Used to knock around with Peter Brearly,Alan Hardisty, David Godson, Malcom Slack, John Cox he lived in the same yard, Stephen Sykes Rita & Linda Palmer Angela Lee,Barbara Godson We used to have races around the block, from Pepperdines fruit shop by the gas lamp along Edgar St, along Petre St and back down to Pepperdines, Great times

ciao Ian

Hi Ian, Only just caught up with this thread. I lived at Petre St Post Office and played with some of the boys you mentioned. My main friend was Graham Cowley who lived next door to the Brailey's. Others were David Brailey, Alan Hardisty, Malcom Slack but the other names don't ring a bell. I am 5 years older than you so would have been one of the big boys. Graham Cowley's brother was Michael and he married the Pearce girl from the chip shop on Petre St. Those two brothers immigrated to Canada and then on to USA, I have tried locating them but had no luck so far. I have been in touch with Steven Brailey who also lives in the USA.

Graham Cowley's brother was Michael and he married the Pearce girl from the chip shop on Petre St.

A top chippy that was (was it spelt Pierce?) and a little goldmine in the 50s. The lads used to roll up with cardboard boxes to carry away bloody great shipping orders from the local works.

My friend Neil Ward lived at 2 Edgar St from being born in 1946.

Some relation of my mum lived on Edgar Street, Barlow at number 5 or 7.

The Barlows lived at No 5 according to the Kelly's Directory for 1957. Edgar Street people may be interested to see this scan. There are some photos of Edgar Street on the picturesheffield.com site - here are two .links.

I noticed several users of the site were sharing recollections of Edgar Street, Pitsmoor in the 50s and 60s and they brought my own memories of my childhood there. The Hollow, Pepperdines shop, Mrs Colley's shop etc. My Grandparents, Mr and Mrs Gree, lived at 36 Edgar Street, My aunt and Uncle Kaczmarczyk at No 30, my aunt and uncle Bamford at 34 and I remember Mrs Evans (40), the Barkers (32) and the sweet shop up on Petre Street.

Hi I lived on Edgar Street in the 50s to the 70s my brother and I used to knock around with a lad named Trevor Barlow. We were pals with Laddy and Robert Kaczmarczyk, Mick Barker, Stephen Sharp, Geoff Cryer, Robert Allen and others who lived on nearby streets the Braeley brothers, Ronnie Longhurst, Ian Broadbent, Peter Downward, Roy Worrall and many more. We used to go sledging and play games such as Kick the can, Hiddy and play on t'Holler with our throwing arrows etc.

Hi I lived on Edgar Street in the 50s to the 70s my brother and I used to knock around with a lad named Trevor Barlow. We were pals with Laddy and Robert Kaczmarczyk, Mick Barker, Stephen Sharp, Geoff Cryer, Robert Allen and others who lived on nearby streets the Braeley brothers, Ronnie Longhurst, Ian Broadbent, Peter Downward, Roy Worrall and many more. We used to go sledging and play games such as Kick the can, Hiddy and play on t'Holler with our throwing arrows etc.

Trevor Barlow's dad had a Bradford made 'Jowett-Javelin' (remember them?). Ian Broadbent was from Thorndon Road (I think) and Roy Compton from Carwood Crescent., and isn't Stephen Sharp, footballer Billy Sharp's dad ?