Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

Looks to me like some kind of a locking mechanism that maybe controlled by a thermocouple???

Latest thinking is that it's something to do with the woolen or rope making industry, smowls. The 'handle' on the LH side is in fact a hexagonal spigot. The spindle on the RH side has a hole in the centre, which some rope or wool could be threaded through to the elongated slot on the spindle. The thread could then go through the loops on the piece of rod, attached to the rear of the object.

Does anyone know the year that FBT took over Joseph Thompson's?? I believe they did. Any info would be interesting, thanks

Was that the gear cutting tool section located on Broad Lane. parallel to Glossop road? AFAIK they didn't own it in 1971 when I worked for FBT but owned it in 1974 when I worked there.

Thanks. The original Joseph Thompson was at Townhead St. I’m only guessing but I think it closed down and my father went to work at Carlisle St. He was a foreman tool cutter. I’ve searched the net but can’t find anything about FBT taking over JT.

Great. Many thanks. That does more or less confirm that FBT took it over.

The name Thompson was perpetuated on the board of directors of FBT, certainly in the mid 70s to my knowledge.

Entered in error.

Edited by PeterR

DOB,worked on Gurhings,out with yer mate Ash every Sunday,mind you he's in Thailand for next 5 weeks.Knew Crumpy and Ernest and Ted Tickikliki if thats how yer spellit.

I remember the Ghurings being put in one Saturday morning. I believe one of the heavy gang got killed doing it

Edited by alanfergus
Spelling error

hi, does anyone that worked at firth browns remember a Clarence Robinson and also if they had a cricket team? he worked there from 30s onwards.

My Dad Albert Hall worked at Firth Browns, up till we moved to Aust in 68