Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

Thanks for your response Meltman. I had been wondering for years which shop the coaches were in. After making a point of comparing pics I finally realised it was the Siemens shop :huh: I worked in the Head Offices next to the Siemens shop from 1959 to 1964 then I became chargehand in Central Warehouse a couple of gates further down. Although this involved mostly office work I took a crane driving course in the scrap bay near the Siemens shop so I could drive our crane as a stand in. I had the priviledge of being in the cab of possibly one of the cranes in the 2nd pic. just before tapping commenced. (I believe that some of these cranes were pre war)..

Wasn't allowed to have a go though and my trainer said that I had to leave so I wasn't a distraction :hihi:

Peter.

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 16:13 ----------

Hi stpetre,

Have you seen this. Apparently alloy steel castings were made at Scunthorpe ......

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/firth-brown-tour-works

and this, see 1961.....

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Firth_Brown

and this, current.....

http://scunthorpe.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/firth-rixson-castings-ltd-14362401.html

Peter.

------------------

Hiya Peter, Thanks for all your pictures the one that caught my eye

was the tour of firth brown 1957.

I remember all the things that went on in all the Departement start

too finish, my dad worked in the melting shop on saville st.

Just befor that he worked on the railway and he use to pass firth browns

when train use to come from Victoria Station.

I really enjoyed the vidio though, happy days. Brian. :hihi:

Thanks for your response Meltman. I had been wondering for years which shop the coaches were in. After making a point of comparing pics I finally realised it was the Siemens shop :huh: I worked in the Head Offices next to the Siemens shop from 1959 to 1964 then I became chargehand in Central Warehouse a couple of gates further down. Although this involved mostly office work I took a crane driving course in the scrap bay near the Siemens shop so I could drive our crane as a stand in. I had the priviledge of being in the cab of possibly one of the cranes in the 2nd pic. just before tapping commenced. (I believe that some of these cranes were pre war)..

Wasn't allowed to have a go though and my trainer said that I had to leave so I wasn't a distraction :hihi:

Peter.

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 16:13 ----------

------------------

Hiya Peter, Thanks for all your pictures the one that caught my eye

was the tour of firth brown 1957.

I remember all the things that went on in all the Departement start

too finish, my dad worked in the melting shop on saville st.

Just befor that he worked on the railway and he use to pass firth browns

when train use to come from Victoria Station.

I really enjoyed the vidio though, happy days. Brian. :hihi:

I'm glad you enjoyed the film Brian. It's great that this exists for us to reminisce.

I didn't know that your dad worked in the Siemens melting shop. I travelled by train for a change to see my daughter and passed over the railway bridge on Princess Street a couple of weeks ago and caught a glimpse of the Head Office on Saville Street along Norroy Street. I worked there in the early '60s. As you know, it was next to the Siemens shop. It was lovely to see it from that location again. :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I'm glad you enjoyed the film Brian. It's great that this exists for us to reminisce.

I didn't know that your dad worked in the Siemens melting shop. I travelled by train for a change to see my daughter and passed over the railway bridge on Princess Street a couple of weeks ago and caught a glimpse of the Head Office on Saville Street along Norroy Street. I worked there in the early '60s. As you know, it was next to the Siemens shop. It was lovely to see it from that location again. :)

Peter.

-----------------------

Hi Peter. This building of firth browns is on that vidio you put on

thread other day.

Could you see if you can find me a pic of Temprance Sping just off Norfolk Bridge

on Sheffield picture please, if you look about one o'clock on this pic thats where the

firm was i think you have an idea.

Thanks Peter, Ho did you see them pics i put on Crown Pub on

Bridge INN on Meadowhall thread. thanks again Peter.

Edited by brian1941
WORDING

-----------------------

thread other day.

Could you see if you can find me a pic of Temprance Sping just off Norfolk Bridge

on Sheffield picture please, if you look about one o'clock on this pic thats where the

Try 'Tempered Spring' and their locations at Norfolk Bridge were Effingham Road, Foley Street and Leveson Street and (perhaps) Warren Street.

-----------------------

thread other day.

Hi brian1941 , thanks for the pics.

In answer to your questions......

Scroll to my post number 112 and stpetre's response post 113 on the page below....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3841&highlight=history+of+sheffield+steel+industry&page=6

Scroll to my post number 26 on the page below.....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1447999&highlight=crown+inn+meadowhall&page=2

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi I remember Tempered Springs I Did work there warren street works and left there to come to Canada in 1974 Brian

Hi brian1941 , thanks for the pics.

In answer to your questions......

Scroll to my post number 112 and stpetre's response post 113 on the page below....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3841&highlight=history+of+sheffield+steel+industry&page=6

Scroll to my post number 26 on the page below.....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1447999&highlight=crown+inn+meadowhall&page=2

Peter.

-------------------

Hi Peter, Thanks for them pics but i can't remember seeing them

of Tempered Springs 112-113 in 2015.

Could be my loss of memory haha, working to long at Firth Browns.

:hihi::hihi: Brian

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

I have just found and scanned a nice photo of workers at Firth Brown. It was taken in 1935 (or thereabouts). I only know two people on the photo - my grandfather John Walter Marshall and his friend George Battersby. I anyone wants a JPEG copy of he photo emailed, send me a PM and will sort out when I get back to my office. I would be interested to hear if anyone can identify other people in the image (There are about fifty people all with clear headshots).

I have just found and scanned a nice photo of workers at Firth Brown. It was taken in 1935 (or thereabouts). I only know two people on the photo - my grandfather John Walter Marshall and his friend George Battersby. I anyone wants a JPEG copy of he photo emailed, send me a PM and will sort out when I get back to my office. I would be interested to hear if anyone can identify other people in the image (There are about fifty people all with clear headshots).

Hi Round House.

Although I worked at Firth Brown from 1959 to 1966 I knew a few people who had been there since before the war. There's a chance I may spot a face so I would be pleased to have a JPEG copy.

Have sent you a PM.

Peter.

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 16:56 ----------

Hi Round House,

Many thanks for the brilliant pic.

Unfortunately I don't recognise any faces, nor the buildings in the background.

Maybe someone else may contact you eventually.

Regards, and thanks again.

Peter.

I'm not sure if this excellent Technicolor film on Youtube has been posted before.

It features steelmaking around 1945. The Sheffield companies included are Firth Browns, ESC and Arthur Balfour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QuEiD6R_k

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I'm not sure if this excellent Technicolor film on Youtube has been posted before.

It features steelmaking around 1945. The Sheffield companies included are Firth Browns, ESC and Arthur Balfour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QuEiD6R_k

Peter.

Brilliant film! I see that the credited 'narrator' was 'John Laurie' (which I didn't hear) was perhaps actor John Laurie, he of Private Frazer (We're doomed !') in Dad's Army ,as he would have been in his late forties at the time ?

Brilliant film! I see that the credited 'narrator' was 'John Laurie' (which I didn't hear) was perhaps actor John Laurie, he of Private Frazer (We're doomed !') in Dad's Army ,as he would have been in his late forties at the time ?

I believe the narrator was indeed the actor John Laurie you mention stpetre.

(Were you unable to get sound on the film as it was ok for me?)

Here he is ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Laurie

Peter.

Edited by PeterR