Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6108681325182292129

--------------

Hiya Peter R, Sure you'll like this picture, this is type of work that was done in

the heavy forge at No 40 gate Saville St.

It was at Firth Browns then was that took over by Sheffield Forgemasters, the pic

your looking at the 10,000 tonne forging press with Manipulator.

Edited by brian1941
spelling

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6108681325182292129

--------------

Hiya Peter R, Sure you'll like this picture, this is type of work that was done in

the heavy forge at No 40 gate Saville St.

It was at Firth Browns then was that took over by Sheffield Forgemasters, the pic

your looking at the 10,000 tonne forging press with Manipulator.

Hi Brian,

I used to see this press when, as an office junior aged 15 in 1959, I would take documents from Progress and Planning office on Saville Street East where I was based, to Heavy Engineering offices on Carlisle Street East. I would take a short cut instead of walking on the streets and recall crossing the railway lines and going through a shop under Carwood Road bridge. After seeing the press in action, which was massive and powerful, emitting a lot of heat and noise :), I'd emerge from the gate next to the Carwood Hotel, diagonally opposite the Corner Pin. I'd then walk on the pavement to the offices further along Carlisle Street East in the direction of Upwell Street. I knew at the time that I was seeing something special and feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of and witness Firth Browns in action.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

I used to see this press when, as an office junior aged 15 in 1959, I would take documents from Progress and Planning office on Saville Street East where I was based, to Heavy Engineering offices on Carlisle Street East. I would take a short cut instead of walking on the streets and recall crossing the railway lines and going through a shop under Carwood Road bridge. After seeing the press in action, which was massive and powerful, emitting a lot of heat and noise :), I'd emerge from the gate next to the pub diagonally opposite the Corner Pin. I'd then walk on the pavement to the offices further along Carlisle Street East in the direction of Upwell Street. I knew at the time that I was seeing something special and feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of and witness Firth Browns in action.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109024019756765169

Hi Peter, Glad you was able to find your way round Firth Browns

it was massiff - you and i seems to have seen and done it all.

I had been through all the departement over the years.

-------------

Anyway Peter, A few pictures back i sent you one of Sheffield Forgemasters

on Hawke St, it was a big black building and although i have sent you this

pic befor look over the building towards the right and you can just see

that big black building over Brightside Lane.

----------

I took this picture ages ago and it was on Sutherland Rd bridge, times

i have had lifts on the shunters train up/down the track. :hihi::hihi: Brian

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109024019756765169

Hi Peter, Glad you was able to find your way round Firth Browns

it was massiff - you and i seems to have seen and done it all.

I had been through all the departement over the years.

-------------

Anyway Peter, A few pictures back i sent you one of Sheffield Forgemasters

on Hawke St, it was a big black building and although i have sent you this

pic befor look over the building towards the right and you can just see

that big black building over Brightside Lane.

----------

I took this picture ages ago and it was on Sutherland Rd bridge, times

i have had lifts on the shunters train up/down the track. :hihi::hihi: Brian

Yes Brian, I had been through many departments to deliver documents as an office junior. I can tell where you took the pic from and can pick out the building on Hawke Street. Lovely to pick it out so far away. I've only ever driven over the bridge on Sutherland Road approaching traffic lights at the junction with Savile Street, so never seen that view before :) . I have driven up and down the road pictured which, as you know, was the railway track in my car a few times though :) .

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Not seen it from that side before Brian :)

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 17:47 ----------

This is a pic of Firth Browns I haven't seen before :)

It was probably taken in 1960, the year the trams finished, and shows Savile Street East with the junction of Carwood Road on the left. The building on the left of pic still exists, but all the rest, beyond the junction, have long gone.

Type in u00152 after clicking this....http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109795093541043505

Hi Peter R, Just thought i'd send you this picture and compare it to the

one you sent me with the tram on Saviile St, this is what it looks

like today.

All that ground with the units on was of Sheffield Forgemasters

Ex Firth Browns that went all way down to the bridge leading to Newhall Rd

Brightside Lane. I know you are aware of that but just for some that

didn't. Hope you like. Brian :thumbsup:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109795093541043505

Hi Peter R, Just thought i'd send you this picture and compare it to the

one you sent me with the tram on Saviile St, this is what it looks

like today.

All that ground with the units on was of Sheffield Forgemasters

Ex Firth Browns that went all way down to the bridge leading to Newhall Rd

Brightside Lane. I know you are aware of that but just for some that

didn't. Hope you like. Brian :thumbsup:

That's a good 'Before and after' Brian. :)

I believe that the road was positioned slightly over to the left to allow for the 'new' short dual carriageway and traffic lights to allow easier access to the 'new' industrial estate.

Peter.

That's a good 'Before and after' Brian. :)

I believe that the road was positioned slightly over to the left to allow for the 'new' short dual carriageway and traffic lights to allow easier access to the 'new' industrial estate.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109835186737945953

Hiya Peter, What about this picture then.

Carlisle St 1900, In the heart of industrial Brightside a vast army of

heavy steel workers troop between work and home at the end of a

working day. In the years between 1841 and 1901, Brightside's

population grew from 10.000 to 75,000.

Hope you enjoy. Brian, talk Friday :|

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109835186737945953

Hiya Peter, What about this picture then.

Carlisle St 1900, In the heart of industrial Brightside a vast army of

heavy steel workers troop between work and home at the end of a

working day. In the years between 1841 and 1901, Brightside's

population grew from 10.000 to 75,000.

Hope you enjoy. Brian, talk Friday :|

Hi Brian,

Lovely pic. I see the Kayser Ellison entrance sign near top right. It may have become part of Firth Brown's by our time and is at the junction of Carlisle Street and Sutherland Street. The lower part of the entrance was still there until recent times. Not sure if it still is?? The junction has always been a big roundabout in my memory, with Gower Street just out of sight on the left and Sutherland Road left of pic. :)

I took a picture of what was left of Kayser Ellison's entrance in 1990. It shows to the right of your pic. but the single door seen between the telegraph pole and the shoulder of the man in the foreground is just showing and you'll see the entrance gates which are to the right of it.. I'll try to scan the photo and add to this post next week.

Peter.

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 12:58 ----------

Hi Brian,

Lovely pic. I see the Kayser Ellison entrance sign near top right. It may have become part of Firth Brown's by our time and is at the junction of Carlisle Street and Sutherland Street. The lower part of the entrance was still there until recent times. Not sure if it still is?? The junction has always been a big roundabout in my memory, with Gower Street just out of sight on the left and Sutherland Road left of pic. :)

I took a picture of what was left of Kayser Ellison's entrance in 1990. It shows to the right of your pic. but the single door seen between the telegraph pole and the shoulder of the man in the foreground is just showing and you'll see the entrance gates which are to the right of it.. I'll try to scan the photo and add to this post next week.

Peter.

Here's the pic.

Kayser%20Ellison_zpsx73fygep.jpg

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Peter.

-------------

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 12:58 ----------

Here's the pic.

Kayser%20Ellison_zpsx73fygep.jpg

-----------------

Hay, thats a good picture Peter and in colour, love the old pics

keep up the good work. Brian :thumbsup:

my uncle worked for firth browns and was called albert knight, he was a union leader....

Albert worked at Firth Brown Tools and he was the convener

i worked at firth browns from 1937 to 1983 (with a gap of 7 years for the second world war). During my time i worked in the machine shops. I would be very happy to here from anyone else that worked at firth browns at the same time as me. My father and grandfather also worked at firths.

Look forward to hearing from any and all of my ex-colleagues.

Bill howard

all those years same company bill good on you

-----------------

Hay, thats a good picture Peter and in colour, love the old pics

keep up the good work. Brian :thumbsup:

Thanks Brian,

I used to take a lot of photos on prints and slides around the 1980s/90s with my 'Fugica SLR' which I still have, although it's in retirement now, like me :hihi:

Peter.