Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

:confused:

I don't remember a a pub on that corner, I think it was a yard with a high wall around it. Could have been a pub originally

I remember the Nelson being converted into a garage, what a waste of a good pub, not sure if it is still there.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:38 ----------

Definitely Firth Brown, Got my boots from the canopied doorway and my wage packet from the bricked up entrance next to it !!!

Yes I remember the company garage it was alongside the Nelson. Humbers, one of my favourite marques. :love:

Hi shaunfl,

A substantial building is shown on the 1947 aerial pic below. Looks like it is the sandwich shop, Nelson and Victoria Hotel. Suppose the Vic could have gone by 1959, if it ever existed, but if it was a pub it would still be well patronised. Another teaser eh?? :confused:

Incidentally, all the comments on this pic under the name Laurence (my second name) are mine.

If you register you obtain a fabulous zoom facility.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656?search=eaw009656&ref=0

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

:confused:

Hi shaunfl,

A substantial building is shown on the 1947 aerial pic below. Looks like it is the sandwich shop, Nelson and Victoria Hotel. Suppose the Vic could have gone by 1959, if it ever existed, but if it was a pub it would still be well patronised. Another teaser eh?? :confused:

Incidentally, all the comments on this pic under the name Laurence (my second name) are mine.

If you register you obtain a fabulous zoom facility.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656?search=eaw009656&ref=0

Peter.

----------------

Hi Peter R, Intresting map always nice to see.

On that other quote about T W Wards it was well you spotted

the picture of Firth Browns, GOOD EYES :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 17:33 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/FirthBrownssavillest-21_zpsc7c8774e.jpg

---------

Hi Peter R, Not sure if this building with glass roof is or was

Firth Browns tools, here is also the letter box i mentioned befor on

Saville st, maybe its still in use Brian

---------------

Edited by brian1941

On Norroy St. here was The Nelson and then the sandwich shop. Next door was (still is???) a large door with a ramp leading down to what was I guess an air-raid shelter originally. This was where Firth Brown's photographic department was situated, ideal for dark rooms etc. Also there was part of the research labs, the creep testing lab. where I worked for a couple of years until the new labs. opened on Attercliffe Road.Other parts of the creep lab. were in the cellar of the "old labs." later Sheffield Pewter Co. and in cellars under the yard where the X-ray dept. and the research machine shop were. I hope this snippet of info is of some use.

I spent a while in the creep lab too.

----------------

Hi Peter R, Intresting map always nice to see.

On that other quote about T W Wards it was well you spotted

the picture of Firth Browns, GOOD EYES :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 17:33 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/FirthBrownssavillest-21_zpsc7c8774e.jpg

---------

Hi Peter R, Not sure if this building with glass roof is or was

Firth Browns tools, here is also the letter box i mentioned befor on

Saville st, maybe its still in use Brian

---------------

Hi Brian,

I was trying to recognise the clock on the pic and trying to orientate the view but it didn't look right (is that a pun? :)) However I saw the original T.W.Ward clock the other week which is at the Kelham Island Industrial Museum. It has Roman numerals and when I saw the pic again later I immediately recognised the Firth Brown clock with the Arabic numerals and it all fell into place.

I think the buildings to the right of the post office were Firth Brown Tools. .

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 18:17 ----------

On Norroy St. here was The Nelson and then the sandwich shop. Next door was (still is???) a large door with a ramp leading down to what was I guess an air-raid shelter originally. This was where Firth Brown's photographic department was situated, ideal for dark rooms etc. Also there was part of the research labs, the creep testing lab. where I worked for a couple of years until the new labs. opened on Attercliffe Road.Other parts of the creep lab. were in the cellar of the "old labs." later Sheffield Pewter Co. and in cellars under the yard where the X-ray dept. and the research machine shop were. I hope this snippet of info is of some use.

Thanks Meltman, always useful and interesting this sort of info.

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 18:18 ----------

I spent a while in the creep lab too.

Thanks for that Marx.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Brian,

I was trying to recognise the clock on the pic and trying to orientate the view but it didn't look right (is that a pun? :)) However I saw the original T.W.Ward clock the other week which is at the Kelham Island Industrial Museum. It has Roman numerals and when I saw the pic again later I immediately recognised the Firth Brown clock with the Arabic numerals and it all fell into place.

I think the buildings to the right of the post office were Firth Brown Tools. .

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 18:17 ----------

Thanks Meltman, always useful and interesting this sort of info.

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 18:18 ----------

Thanks for that Marx.

Regards, Peter.

-----------------

Sounds intresting about the clocks, i do remember the conopy at

Firth Browns but i dont remember it been took down.

The main door was always polished and the door knob, i use to

see the cleaners doing it. Brian

-----------------

The company barber was through that door as well, I thought the old uns were pulling' my leg about him, it was true though !!!:)

-----------------

Hi Brian,

All the buildings, including the part with the canopy over were demolished, except the parts immediately to the right of where the canopy was. ( see pic on post 233 of 1st Oct.). They are preserved and named President Buildings. The war memorial plaque which can be seen on the pic immediately right of the canopy was removed and the marks are still there today.

Everything was kept immaculate inside the main entrance too and looked like in a big country house and would impress visitors. Lower beings used an entrance around the back. There was a reception area and two receptionists and a marble stairway. The directors offices were up the stairs and along a corridor to the right which was wood panelled. Eventually it led through a door to where us more humble clerical workers were. You knew when you had arrived as the walls were then green and cream paint! :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 11:01 ----------

The company barber was through that door as well, I thought the old uns were pulling' my leg about him, it was true though !!!:)

Hi shaunfl,

Was the barber through the gate at the side of the main entrance??

I went once as a nervous new recruit aged 15. He dry shaved the nape of my neck with a cut throat razor. My delicate skin couldn't cope and was bright pink afterwards. Never went again :hihi:

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

All the buildings, including the part with the canopy over were demolished, except the parts immediately to the right of pic ( see post 233 of 1st Oct.) where the canopy was. They are preserved and named President Buildings. The war memorial plaque which can be seen on the pic immediately right of the canopy was removed and the marks are still there today.

Everything was kept immaculate inside the main entrance too and looked like in a big country house and would impress visitors. Lower beings used an entrance around the back. There was a reception area and two receptionists and a marble stairway. The directors offices were up the stairs and along a corridor to the right which was wood panelled. Eventually it led through a door to where us more humble clerical workers were. You knew when you had arrived as the walls were then green and cream paint! :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 11:01 ----------

Hi shaunfl,

Was the barber through the gate at the side of the main entrance??

I went once as a nervous new recruit aged 15. He dry shaved the nape of my neck with a cut throat razor. My delicate skin couldn't cope and was bright pink afterwards. Never went again :hihi:

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I never used him, we all had rather long hair at the time, but I remember a door inside the main entrance area being used by the office staff. Could have been one through the gate for shop floor workers :hihi:

-------------

Hi shaufl, I didn't know about the barber, i'am not sure if i

once got a glance of them stairs but was they a spiral type and

very wide, just trying to visualize now. Brian

-------------

Hi shaufl, I didn't know about the barber, i'am not sure if i

once got a glance of them stairs but was they a spiral type and

very wide, just trying to visualize now. Brian

Hi Bri,

There was a grand staircase and if I remember correctly it doubled back on itself and there were more doors along a passage below the second tier. The whole thing was oak panelled in my memory.

Shaun

wifes Dad worked for them 50 years, Syd Taylor

if its the syd taylor who worked in 6bay and lived at firth park, i knew him well and visited his house many times