Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/FirthBrownsMichineShop_zps5e02ba59.jpg

Hi peter R, Not sure if you will get this picture of firth browns on saville st,

look on the right and follow the windows up.

Not the first 4 but the next 3 up was where our mess room was, then next

was our downstairs offices were, then the big door as you see.

Pot luck with this pic. Brian.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 19:12 ----------

------------------

Sorry Peter R, Sent wrong pic but it did work, dont know how

but i manage to get a pic on forum.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/GrimesthorpePics-2014012_zps9a5e644f.jpg

Hiya Peter R, Hope this pic turns out this time of Firth Browns on

saville. No Peter it didn't work and will keep trying Brian

---------- Post added 18-09-2014 at 18:13 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/GrimesthorpePics-2014048_zps8e7aa578.jpg

Hiya Peter R, Well Well Well i've manage to get you this picture on after a struggle, this picture is at 37 gate on

saville st Brian

Edited by brian1941
wording

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/GrimesthorpePics-2014012_zps9a5e644f.jpg

Hiya Peter R, Hope this pic turns out this time of Firth Browns on

saville. No Peter it didn't work and will keep trying Brian

---------- Post added 18-09-2014 at 18:13 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/GrimesthorpePics-2014048_zps8e7aa578.jpg

Hiya Peter R, Well Well Well i've manage to get you this picture on after a struggle, this picture is at 37 gate on

saville st Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pic. My offices were accessed along the wooden structure which is seen on the building which is on the left. It was a corridor in the 50's/60's and ran along the top floor of the building at the back. It was also linked by a covered bridge to offices parallel to and behind which are no longer there.

The back of pub which you think is the Nelson can be seen in the distance on the right at the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East on the pic. ( click below ) which also shows the front of the building which is on the left on your pic. The text on the second pic states that the pub in the foreground is the Victoria and that it is on the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East, but in fact the building is on the corner of Norroy Street and Greystock Street. Can anyone throw any light on this??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18375&pos=2&action=zoom&id=20954

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18376&pos=3&action=zoom&id=20955

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pic. My offices were accessed along the wooden structure which is seen on the building which is on the left. It was a corridor in the 50's/60's and ran along the top floor of the building at the back. It was also linked by a covered bridge to offices parallel to and behind which are no longer there.

The back of pub which you think is the Nelson can be seen in the distance on the right at the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East on the pic. ( click below ) which also shows the front of the building which is on the left on your pic. The text on the second pic states that the pub in the foreground is the Victoria and that it is on the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East, but in fact the building is on the corner of Norroy Street and Greystock Street. Can anyone throw any light on this??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18375&pos=2&action=zoom&id=20954

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18376&pos=3&action=zoom&id=20955

Peter.

--------------

Hiya Peter R, I like both pics and loverly veiws, i'am not sure if

that was a sandwhich shop next door to the Nelson pub.

Yes i remember your offices i have passed lots of times, pass them

took you near the Melting shop 30 sumut gates, my dad worked in

there.

Try and send you pics next Brian

--------------

Hiya Peter R, i'am not sure if

Brian

yes it was when I was in the apprentice training school, it was one of the first places I ever saw a space invaders machine, that would have been 1980.

yes it was when I was in the apprentice training school, it was one of the first places I ever saw a space invaders machine, that would have been 1980.

--------------

Hi, Where was that training school, was it on Princess st.

Is there anybody there that worked at Firth Browns particularly late 60's early 70's especially in the Engineers Dept

probably half of Sheffield worked there as son followed father, and his father before him could have gone back 4 generations, my dad didn't work there but ots of his mated did and a couple of uncles of mine did my dad worked at forge masters instead RIP dad

--------------

Hi, Where was that training school, was it on Princess st.

The address was Windsor street but it was down a little dead end road just off it. The buildings still there.

--------------

Hiya Peter R, I like both pics and loverly veiws, i'am not sure if

Yes i remember your offices i have passed lots of times, pass them

took you near the Melting shop 30 sumut gates, my dad worked in

there.

Try and send you pics next Brian

Hi,

Long time no visit. Yes the Nelson was on the corner of Norroy and Greystock St and next door was a sarnie shop owned by Elsie Briggs. Her son was Brian Briggs, he serviced and covered most of the snooker tables in Sheffield including the Crucible if I remember correctly. There was often a roll of green baize in the shop.

The sarnies were great as well !!:)

Hi,

Long time no visit. Yes the Nelson was on the corner of Norroy and Greystock St and next door was a sarnie shop owned by Elsie Briggs. Her son was Brian Briggs, he serviced and covered most of the snooker tables in Sheffield including the Crucible if I remember correctly. There was often a roll of green baize in the shop.

Hi shaunfl,

Thanks for clearing that up. Am I correct in assuming that the pub on the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East is therefore the Victoria Hotel ??

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi,

-----------------

Hi shaunfl, Looking back on that Sheffield pic Peter put on

regards Norry st, just pass that sandwhich shop is a building and still

standing was that a Garage, i know theirs someone using that unit.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

The view on the pic below is towards town on Savile Street East looking from the junction with Norroy Street which is out of pic on the left. I'm sure you'll recognise it.

I've advised Picture Sheffield that the premises are Firth Brown and not T.W.Ward as per the text. They have kindly responded saying that it will be amended.

In the middle is the main entrance to Firth Brown headquarters with the canopy and marbelled facia. Immediately to the left of that is 34 gate with the clock, and to the right of the canopy and rainwater downpipe is the war memorial plaque on the wall. As we have discussed on previous posts the gates were even numbers at this point, and 36 gate is just out of shot to the right .

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26727&pos=1&action=zoom&id=29146

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:10 ----------

-----------------

Brian.

Hi brian1941 and shaunfl,

Firth Brown had their chauffers' garage around this point in 1959 to 1962 when I worked for the Company. I recall they had a couple of black Humber Hawks.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi shaunfl,

Thanks for clearing that up. Am I correct in assuming that the pub on the corner of Norroy Street and Saville Street East is therefore the Victoria Hotel ??

Regards, Peter.

I don't remember a a pub on that corner, I think it was a yard with a high wall around it. Could have been a pub originally

-----------------

Brian.

I remember the Nelson being converted into a garage, what a waste of a good pub, not sure if it is still there.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:38 ----------

Hi Brian,

The view on the pic below is towards town on Savile Street East looking from the junction with Norroy Street which is out of pic on the left. I'm sure you'll recognise it.

I've advised Picture Sheffield that the premises are Firth Brown and not T.W.Ward as per the text. They have kindly responded saying that it will be amended.

In the middle is the main entrance to Firth Brown headquarters with the canopy and marbelled facia. Immediately to the left of that is 34 gate with the clock, and to the right of the canopy and rainwater downpipe is the war memorial plaque on the wall. As we have discussed on previous posts the gates were even numbers at this point, and 36 gate is just out of shot to the right .

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26727&pos=1&action=zoom&id=29146

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:10 ----------

Hi brian1941 and shaunfl,

Firth Brown had their chauffers' garage around this point in 1959 to 1962 when I worked for the Company. I recall they had a couple of black Humber Hawks.

Peter.

Definitely Firth Brown, Got my boots from the canopied doorway and my wage packet from the bricked up entrance next to it !!!

Yes I remember the company garage it was alongside the Nelson. Humbers, one of my favourite marques. :love: