Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

My parents met whilst working at Firth Browns nearly 50 years ago.

My grandad jack worked there jack rastrick

I'm fairly sure it's a listed building due to the curved roof supports at the Brightside end, I spent a couple of years in there during my apprenticeship.:cool:

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 21:22 ----------

Was it Margaret, my memory seems to think it was Princess Anne, I remember loads of plants and shrubs being planted for the visit. The Budleias that grow wild around the area originated from them. :D

---------------------

Hiya Shuanfi, Yes your right on the plants and yes i nick some when

it was all over :hihi::hihi:

And no it was Princess Margret.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 20:34 ----------

Hi brian1941 and shaunfl,

Sheffield City Library Archives on 'Sources for the study of royal visits to Sheffield' shows a visit by Princess Margaret on 6th. July 1976 to Children's Hospital and Firth Brown Ltd. Nothing shown for Princess Anne to FB. Could this be the date you are remembering Brian?

--------------------

Hiya Peter R, Did you ever use the canteen on carlisle st they did

some great breakfast, I took my dinners in canteen on saville st

sat with gaffes so's thats they didn't slag my work mates off. :hihi::hihi:

---------------------

Hiya Shuanfi, Yes your right on the plants and yes i nick some when

it was all over :hihi::hihi:

And no it was Princess Margret.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 20:34 ----------

--------------------

Hiya Peter R, Did you ever use the canteen on carlisle st they did

some great breakfast, I took my dinners in canteen on saville st

sat with gaffes so's thats they didn't slag my work mates off. :hihi::hihi:

Hi brian1941,

Never used the canteen on Carlisle Street. Did use the one on Saville Street some 'dinner' times in the late 50s/early 60s as it was only a few hundred yards further along from my office, which was at 36 gate on the opposite side of Saville Street. The canteen was used as a furniture warehouse 3 or 4 years ago, not sure if that occupier is still there now. I went in just to have a look round at that time. It had obviously changed a lot but I recognised the area near the windows where I used to eat.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi brian1941,

Never used the canteen on Carlisle Street. Did use the one on Saville Street some 'dinner' times in the late 50s/early 60s as it was only a few hundred yards further along from my office, which was at 36 gate on the opposite side of Saville Street. The canteen was used as a furniture warehouse 3 or 4 years ago, not sure if that occupier is still there now. I went in just to have a look round at that time. It had obviously changed a lot but I recognised the area near the windows where I used to eat.

Regards, Peter.

------------------

Hiya Peter R, Opposite the canteen main doors what number gate

was it, it led you to 2/3 machine shop and 6 bay near lines side

and roll griders shop. :) ps, that gate might be 39.

------------------

Hiya Peter R, Opposite the canteen main doors what number gate

was it, it led you to 2/3 machine shop and 6 bay near lines side

and roll griders shop. :) ps, that gate might be 39.

37 gate, where the time keepers were. it took you into a big yard with the light machine shop on the right and roll grinding on the left.see previous posts.

37 gate, where the time keepers were. it took you into a big yard with the light machine shop on the right and roll grinding on the left.see previous posts.

Hi Chrissoftley and brian1941,

The gates numbered from 30 and 32 (Siemens shop) then 34 ( with the big clock and visitor reception/ directors offices with canopy) then 36 (main offices (where I worked in 1959/64,) test house etc.)

Logically therefore, the gate opposite the canteen would be the even number 38. However, in 1965/6 I worked as the chargehand in Central Warehouse which was ahead in the yard and past the shops you mention Chris. This is where I sometimes drove the overhead crane after my training course in Siemens shop. However I do recall the gate number as being 37. Any ideas as to why an odd number as would expect numbering to be the same as housing i.e. odds and evens on opposite sides??

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

---------------

Hiya Chrissoftley and Peter R, I have been working backwards on the gate

numbers on saville st.

41 Gate was south treatment, 40 gate was roll hardening shop,

39 was heavy hammer shop and in next shop was light forge hammer shop

same gate.

The last gate was 38 that led to the pit yard, outside was a telephone box.

Then cross the street to the next gate up was 37 as was said , walk in the gate was the time house and big yard as you said.

So what gate did 36 and 35 lead to. Brian1941.

---------------

Hiya Chrissoftley and Peter R, I have been working backwards on the gate

numbers on saville st.

41 Gate was south treatment, 40 gate was roll hardening shop,

39 was heavy hammer shop and in next shop was light forge hammer shop

same gate.

The last gate was 38 that led to the pit yard, outside was a telephone box.

Then cross the street to the next gate up was 37 as was said , walk in the gate was the time house and big yard as you said.

So what gate did 36 and 35 lead to. Brian1941.

The plot thickens! I think there wasn't a 35 gate Brian, as numbers on the right after 37 going towards town were all even numbers. I can't recall any gates on the left and assume access to these buildings was from Corby Street. I'm confused therefore about the missing odd numbers. Also I think that the buildings immediately on the left when entering 37 gate were some sort of light m/c shop as I seem to remember walking through there from 36 gate into the big yard at 37 gate. The long buildings behind them I think included Roll Grinding shop where I could walk through to cross the railway line. Click on this http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656 ( Incidentally my username is Laurence on britainfromabove and the current comments are mine.) Also I think 34 gate may have been an entrance to internal side entries to the shops either side including Siemens to the left (which had access on Savile Street at 32 and 30 gates) and Roll Grinding and Test House to the right.. I do remember being able to access the offices from around the back here and seem to recall a roadway and rail line giving access to the main railway line. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Edited by PeterR

The plot thickens! I think there wasn't a 35 gate Brian, as numbers on the right after 37 going towards town were all even numbers. I can't recall any gates on the left and assume access to these buildings was from Corby Street. I'm confused therefore about the missing odd numbers. Also I think that the buildings immediately on the left when entering 37 gate were some sort of light m/c shop as I seem to remember walking through there from 36 gate into the big yard at 37 gate. The long buildings behind them I think included Roll Grinding shop where I could walk through to cross the railway line. Click on this http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656 ( Incidentally my username is Laurence on britainfromabove and the current comments are mine.) Also I think 36 gate may have been an entrance to internal side entries to the shops either side including Siemens to the left and Roll Grinding and Test House to the right.. I do remember being able to access the offices from around the back here and seem to recall a roadway and rail line giving access to the main railway line. Any thoughts on that anyone?

---------------------

I like that Peter R, The plot thickens?

Youv'e just about got it all right, have clicked on picture and looks

good. There was a picture in the retro of the front of the Siemens

with to gates on front Gate 30.

The preserved gateways dating back around 1900 and listed now,

English Heritage Thos Firth and Sons part of Sheffield Forgemasters.

My wifes father worked at FB,from 1917 to approx 1965.His name was Bob Taylor and he worked on Swedish swing grinder amongst other jobs and ended up in the Met lab through ill health till 1964.

The plot thickens! I think there wasn't a 35 gate Brian, as numbers on the right after 37 going towards town were all even numbers. I can't recall any gates on the left and assume access to these buildings was from Corby Street. I'm confused therefore about the missing odd numbers. Also I think that the buildings immediately on the left when entering 37 gate were some sort of light m/c shop as I seem to remember walking through there from 36 gate into the big yard at 37 gate. The long buildings behind them I think included Roll Grinding shop where I could walk through to cross the railway line. Click on this http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656 ( Incidentally my username is Laurence on britainfromabove and the current comments are mine.) Also I think 34 gate may have been an entrance to internal side entries to the shops either side including Siemens to the left (which had access on Savile Street at 32 and 30 gates) and Roll Grinding and Test House to the right.. I do remember being able to access the offices from around the back here and seem to recall a roadway and rail line giving access to the main railway line. Any thoughts on that anyone?

H brian1941,

I've amended the last few lines on this post as I inadvertantly typed 36 gate when it should be 34 gate which I believe may have been an entrance to internal side entries to access Siemens on the left and Roll Grinding on the right. Sorry for any further confusion!!

Have you seen this pic Brian, it shows the clock at 34 gate, then Siemens 32 and 30 gates. Can't give you a direct link but click this http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and type in the search box u03762.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR