Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

Name rings a bell? There were about 5000 employees at that time. I was there from '61 to '68 and served my apprenticeship in the electrical trade. Was my first job on leaving school and spent the first 2 years in the training school before they let us loose in the various departments! lots of colourful characters I remember even now. Billy Hull, Aubrey Clover, too many to mention here. Great days growing up there and plenty of distractions. Started up the Spider Club with some of my mates, Chris Smethurst, Pete Hancock at the FB Social Club which really made the place buzz on a Sunday night for a while. Bit of competition for the Mojo... we thought! Happy days.................Ring any bells?

Two of my former colleagues where I work now used to work in the X-Ray Dept at Firth Browns. Robert Ash and Vic Powell.

The Department was run by a gentleman called Derek Taylor.

When the department was closed down, our firm bought some of the equipment and still use it today.

I worked there as an electrician we had a workshop next to a pub on Carlisle street that would be about 1960 but only for a year or two. I had a big mate who worked there.Harry howarth ( he drove one of those three wheeled things, A Lister,I think) he must have been there about 20 years plus his national service and his dad before him ( I think he was also called Harry) worked there for some considerable time

My Grandad worked at Firth Browns 1950/1970 . Samuel Hoyland ring any bells? His nephew Tommy Hoyland played for Sheff Utd....

I've got a photograph which shows about 10 blokes and one woman getting their retirement clocks in front of a crowd of the rest of the workforce - it's quite a moving scene. I think it is Firth Browns but I'm not certain. Judging by the clothes I think it's dated sometime in the 1960s I bought the photo about 15 years ago from the Untitled gallery.

My first job when I left school in 1970 was at Firth Browns. I was put in the Sales Office of the Rolling Dept ( I think ) - the office manager was 'Chalkie' White and I think the department head was Mr Price.

The person I remember most in that office though was a guy called Mick Bullock - he lived at Handsworth I think and was very well known in Amateur Dramatic circles.

Didn,t know your grandad Bella but I,ve watched Tommy Hoyland play down at the lane many times. I wish we had him and his like now

i think my friends dad worked there , bill sproson

hello

is the harry howarth mentioned frank howarths brother?

frank was a universal grinder(is that right) at firth browns anyone remember him? he had a sister doris? married a brashaw and lived in attercliffe

No. the harry howarth I knew used to live in the first house on Windmill Lane (from Bellhouse rd end) in the 50s. He didn't have any brothers but he had a sister called Pat.. Unfortnately Harry passed away some years ago

Does anyone remember the Firth Brown's Percussion Band that used to liven up the Alexander Public house on many a night.

The pub was at the junction of Crown Hill and Carlisle Street?

Happy Nights!

frank howarth lived on Danville street , might your Harry have been related ? frank worked at Firth Browns at the beginning of ww2 sounds like you might be too young to have known him!!!!