Japanese knotweed problems

Hiya

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with Japanese Knotweed?

We've just had the survey back from a house we are meant to be buying in Sharrow/Nether Edge area, and the results are putting us off - severe roof spread (dealable), minor damp/rot and Japanese Knotweed in the garden, plus overvalued by 10K!!!

I've done a bit of digging around on the web it this 'weed' looks fairly serious.

If you have had any experience with it, please can you tell me of your experience? Any thoughts appreciated,

Tigs

Dealt with some whilst working with BTCV many moons ago, and the process was horrendously long and hard.

This link will give you some idea what the thing involves.

http://www.sarplc.com/ecology.html

Hope it helps Tigs:thumbsup:

Through work i believe the background is that the Knotweed was popular in the 70's when people planted the stuff. Admittidly the stuff looks ok but it doesn't stop growning and is uncontrollable.

It will grow through anything!

The choice is either to dig down to the roots (maybe over a metre!!) or kill it with several sprays over a year or two. Good luck!

and what's worrying is that a simple walk along the canal or river can leave anyone's garden infested. Just a one inch piece of the stuff in the mud on your boots can be transfered to any piece of land and it will - if conditions are right - root and shoot in weeks. You'll think you've got an interesting plant, and by the time you recognise it, it has taken hold. Nasty stuff indeed!!

Guys

Thank you very much for this.

After your comments and my research, I'm pretty much decided - I think that we're going to back out. It wasn't our ideal house, stretched our finances, has structural issues and this awful weed has just about capped it off!!!

Bugger - back to house-hunting!!! At least we've nearly completed on ours!

Thanks again,

Tigs

Off the top of my head, it was imported into this country in 1826 as a decoractive plant.

Planted in Kew Gardens, and within about 2 years had done unprecented damage to other plants because of it's aggressive nature.

Not all bad though.

I have a friend of a friend who has mixed a solution that does kill the stuff(apparently)

I have knotweed in my front garden and am letting it grow so I can try this amazing mixture.

If it does work, I might market the stuff!

What does knotweed look like is it like a vine with white bells i think i may have it in my garden,

If its not weed what is it?

Originally posted by nikita

What does knotweed look like is it like a vine with white bells i think i may have it in my garden,

nikita, that sounds like convolulus, which is classed as a weed and very difficult to get rid of too ... although it's very pretty really, it strangles other plants and the pollenators it seems to attract are flies! There's another variety too with pink and white bells.

If you leave even a little bit of root behind back it comes!! If it's tangled around your other plants, you may have to "paint" each piece with weedkiller ... it'll take a long time, sorry to be bearer of bad news :(

Or you could just enjoy it for its beauty and leave it be ...

There are loads of sites in sheffield 8 with Knotweed Growing, especially near water. It is quite alarming, I read once that the council have a policy over it but I wonder if they are taking it seriously enough.

There is a house on Chesterfield road right opposite Matalan/Dixons which has a huge bush of it. At least I think that's what it is..

1 Little London road opposite the Old Wardson tools factory and all the way along from the railway bridge, it's spreading!

2 House on chesterfield road opposite matalan

3 In the bushes on the dale on the RHS before the club

4 On abbeydale road where an old club used to be and there are huge railings with damage where a tree fell down 6 months ago.

4 In the patch of land adjacent to Holmhust road and behind KFC

Also there used to be some Giant Hogweed near the A6 near Buxton, and it was truly massive like a tree. I don't think I have ever seen any in sheffield.

Another place I saw some was on the norfolk broads next to the stracy arms pub.

I have heard that you get a real bad rash if you touch it or get any sap on your skin.

I can think of a few celebrities who I would like to force feed some to at gunpoint! :hihi: