Japanese knotweed problems

It's killable,

Roundup, 4 X strength, cut the top of each plant leaving a bamboo chamber.

Fill each bamboo chamber with the Roundup.

EVERY bit removed by cutting MUST be put into a bin liner and needs burning, fortunately our bins go to the incinerator.

Repeat every year until no regrowth, it took me 4 years !!!

Is it this? The leaves look too narrow to be knotweed but I want to be sure .....this pic taken last autumn but I cant find any other Knotweed pix that have red leaves so maybe its something else??

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx0yDK263De9SWdySTJqWlBBam8/edit?usp=sharing

No, that's something quite different.

Is it this? The leaves look too narrow to be knotweed but I want to be sure .....this pic taken last autumn but I cant find any other Knotweed pix that have red leaves so maybe its something else??

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx0yDK263De9SWdySTJqWlBBam8/edit?usp=sharing

That looks very much like Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus).

http://www.twig-design.co.uk/assets_twig/dynamic/1330945403455.jpeg

If you know Dronfield, it's growing on the banks of Lea Brook behind the Christian Oaks church. Nasty, nasty stuff. Surely the council should take responsibility for its eradication, B&Q weed killers aren't going to touch it, it's just too massive!!!! I'm having a survey on a new house quite soon and I have asked they check for JKW. If its there, I'd rather look for a house elsewhere....

Edited by JButts

Just received a property information form for a house I'm selling. It specifically asks about JKW, so any bets if you've got it in your garden, it's going to affect the sale. You may have made a wise decision pulling out of that purchase. Hope you can find somewhere JKW free.

I'm currently looking at a council property which has knotweed on the back garden.. this stuff is a nightmare.. does anyone know of who's responsible to get rid of this..? the garden is a complete dump who ever lived there before did nothing about this.. spoke to a neighbour and I was told that although it looks dead now its been creeping across other gardens past few years.. but they just keep cutting it down with the mover etc.. the patch of land its took over is easily around 10-15 square ft.. really don't know what to do! Help!

I believe the council has a duty to remove knotweed irrespective of where it grows. I could be wrong about that, but since it is council property they will certainly have.

Just cutting it down won't do anything. It needs to be properly treated over a couple of years. Contact the council.

Cutting it down to ground level is not going to help as it's the roots that cause the problem.

I have seen cases of people having to demolish their houses due to root infestation weakening foundations.

Removing the plant entirely is a massive task which can involve removing and replacing a (very) large amount of soil and having it disposed of at an approved site. Any part of root (or the plant stem for that matter) that is not got rid of will just grow back. Poisoning can work although it's a long (years) process due to the extensive root network. As above, any part that's not killed by poison will just grow back. All in all, a very expensive process (many thousands).

It's also illegal to sell a house with out notifying the buyer of it's presence, the presence also reflecting in the value of the house (which will be substantial)

Caveat emptor.

Council should be dealing with it and cutting bit down isn't going to sort it out it needs correctly treating

Cutting Knotweed down is the absolute worse thing you can do, it just spreads it as the cuttings develop into new plants, it has to be killed with a herbicide or dug out of the ground. The council have a unit to deal with Knotweed.

Edited by Zaphod