Hurlfield/Grange grammar school for girls

I remember all the names in your message! I was penny Norman in those far off days.

I remember the name Penny Norman but not sure who you are on the photo I've got. Its dated 1969 summer term (everyone in stripey summer uniform). I would have been 14 and I think its Miss Secker in the middle - I guess she would have been our form mistress. Remembered a few more names - Elaine Edwards, Elaine Draycott, Jane Wordsworth, Kathryn Stallard, Patricia Needham, Kim Beeley, Shirley ?Harwood. I'm not the best at remembering names but some of them came back! I was Angela Nelhams in those days.

I definitely remember you and all those other names. Weren't our summer uniforms pretty? Do you still live in Sheffield? I live in Cheshire but am regularly in Sheffield to visit my elderly parents.

I live in Doncaster now - not too far away but I don't go to Sheffield very often these days.

Just to let everyone know that a Grange Grammar School for Girls (Sheffield) Facebook group has just been set up. Please join and contribute if you are interested.

Saw my name on a comment Laura Carrigan ( now Bowen) also other names who were in my class.I was there from 1966 in class A Nice to know I had lovely auburn hair !! Such fond memories of the School.

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 18:58 ----------

Penny Norman do you remember Laura Carrigan ?

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 19:03 ----------

I went to grange in 1965, I loved the old houses. Friends I remember are Ann Bateman , Laura Corrigan/Carrigan, Gillian Hodgeson, Susan Bell.anybody around from that era

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 18:25 ----------

I was there in mid sixties, I remember miss riddell Mrs Bonetti, mr Gethin,miss Glister and best of all miss Williams

Hi Laura Carrigan remembers Penny x

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 19:05 ----------

Just picked up on this thread. I went to grange in 1966 after 11 plus exam! Can remember some of teachers mentioned but my favourite was Miss Williams. I always enjoyed the Christmas carols outside the Cathedral at lunchtime. Must have been a nightmare organising all those kids and instruments onto the buses for probably less than an hours concert. Some of the names I remember are Gillian Emmerson, Diana Robson (we're still in touch) Catherine Wikner, Andrea Green, Laura Carrigan (with lovely auburn hair). I'm sure I've got a class photo somewhere - might jog a few more names if I can find it.

I might be on the photo Laura Carrigan

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 19:37 ----------

Still have my School Badge with the red squirrel

Dont forget to check fb Grange Grammar School for Girls

---------- Post added 24-04-2018 at 14:36 ----------

:)

Just picked up on this thread. I went to grange in 1966 after 11 plus exam! Can remember some of teachers mentioned but my favourite was Miss Williams. I always enjoyed the Christmas carols outside the Cathedral at lunchtime. Must have been a nightmare organising all those kids and instruments onto the buses for probably less than an hours concert. Some of the names I remember are Gillian Emmerson, Diana Robson (we're still in touch) Catherine Wikner, Andrea Green, Laura Carrigan (with lovely auburn hair). I'm sure I've got a class photo somewhere - might jog a few more names if I can find it.

I remember,you did ballroom dancing ??????

Enjoyed reading all these posts, it sparked off many memories of life at Grange (I was there from '65 to '71). Miss Williams was clearly an inspiration to most of us, with her scruffy hair and duffle coats! I, too, remember the fantastic Speech Days at the City Hall and each year group singing a different song which somehow blended with all the others. Jerusalem may have been our school hymn but on the last day of each school year we used to sing, How Great the Harvest Is, does anyone remember that? I also remember the American exchange history teacher in our first year whose catch phrase was "Has anybody seen my glasses?" (on top of her head!). We weren't very kind to her, one of the girls hid in a cupboard for the whole lesson waving a hankie at us and making us all giggle. How delightful we must have been!

If there are any old girls from Grange Grammar here there is to be a reunion next month. A few spaces still available, you do need to join the Grange Grammar School for Girls (Sheffield) first. 90+ members so far.

Does anyone know of Elwyn Hodkin. She attended Hurlfield Grammar School for girls in the 40s. In 1945 she was probably in 6th form. She became my German teacher in Stockport

Does anyone remember a Doreen Butler? late 60s possibly, although I may have the wrong school!